NYC Lobster Rolls

Guys. Buy a lobster. Some celery, some Pepperidge farm top cut rolls. Take it all home and boil the lobster for not too long. Cut the celery into small pieces. Chop up the lobster and mix it with celery and hellmans. Salt and Pepper. Warm the buns and butter them if you want. Put the lobster stuff in them and eat right away. This shit isn't mysterious or rocket science. You can do it yourself or pay somebody else to but I don't think it warrants all the debate. Apologize in advance.

What about the fries?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lobster roll is a roll filled with lobster. Fries are not mandatory (not like on that sandwich in Pittsburgh [iirc] just shown on TV). You're on your own there. :lol:

Actually, here in Lower Manhattan the hardest part is finding the top-cut hot dog roll. I haven't seen the Pepperidge Farm version in my local stores in a couple of years. :( A pity, because that works the best for anything you want to put on it, including, um, hot dogs.

My local Grisdedes on 90th and Lexington carries top split Pepperidge Farm rolls. Better, yet, are the top sliced Arnold brand (which have the more traditional "New England-style" straighter sides. I found them in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. The Arnold bread website has a feature that allows you to search nearby markets for particular products.

Guys. Buy a lobster. Some celery, some Pepperidge farm top cut rolls. Take it all home and boil the lobster for not too long. Cut the celery into small pieces. Chop up the lobster and mix it with celery and hellmans. Salt and Pepper. Warm the buns and butter them if you want. Put the lobster stuff in them and eat right away. This shit isn't mysterious or rocket science. You can do it yourself or pay somebody else to but I don't think it warrants all the debate. Apologize in advance.

What about the fries?

Who eats a lobster roll with fries?! Potato chips man. Potato chips.

• 1 year later...

Bought a Maine lobster roll (lobster, mayo, buttered roll, celery) for $16 and some Boston clam chowder for $7 from Red Hook Lobster Pound.

http://www.redhooklobsterpound.com is their website. The food truck is in midtown Manhattan on Tuesdays.

Not bad, although Tides beats it out by a mile. I haven't had a good lobster roll since Tides closed, sad to say.

Bought a Maine lobster roll (lobster, mayo, buttered roll, celery) for $16 and some Boston clam chowder for $7 from Red Hook Lobster Pound.

http://www.redhooklobsterpound.com is their website. The food truck is in midtown Manhattan on Tuesdays.

Not bad, although Tides beats it out by a mile. I haven't had a good lobster roll since Tides closed, sad to say.

The last lobster roll we had at Tides was, unfortunately, pretty awful. My recollection is that there was scant lobster and much too much mayo.

We had the Maine lobster roll from the Red Hook Lobster Pound when they were one of the venders at Madison Square Park Eats, and it was excellent.

I suspect Tides was running on spare change by that point, sadly.

I pretty much only go to Luke's these days. I did notice Ed has opened a branch on Clinton Street. Very like the original in appearance. I was kind of surprised: maybe the original gets packed when I'm not looking.

I always wondered about Tides being able to remain open. We went three times, all on a Sunday, and there were never more than one or two other tables occupied. I supposed they were much busier on other days, but still....

I always wondered about Tides being able to remain open. We went three times, all on a Sunday, and there were never more than one or two other tables occupied. I supposed they were much busier on other days, but still....

Kind of moot at this point, isn't it?