NYC Lobster Rolls

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not the only thing that's wrong with that thing.

I used to eat Venezualan hot dogs at Guacuco in Bushwick (which became Santa Salsa). I look at this the same way I look at oysters. If I had to eat hot dogs only one way for the rest of my life,

are you sure that's toast? looks like a traditional split top bun to me.

Posted Images

When Red Hook had a location on Extra Pl., in the EV, we had lobster rolls there a few times. Always served on a toasted split top bun. In @Wilfrid’s case, I think the roll fell apart, which can sometime happen when overloaded with lobster, leading him to think it was just toasted bread.

Yes, my bad, it was a traditional Maine split top bun, which has no sides to it and just looks like toast once it’s loaded up.

The price was around $30; with a beer and tip/tax it was close to a $50 snack, a little less. At least there was a serious amount of lobster.

On 6/26/2022 at 10:34 AM, sweatshorts said:

How much was it? Lobster rolls have been the worst victims of inflation lately.

It's an interesting case - some of them use frozen CKL meat which hasn't gone up in price at all (because there is a huge amount of it) and the others went through sustained insane prices which are now almost back to normal. I wonder if we'll see roll prices going back down 

Red Hook’s price listed on the website of $32 seems ridiculously high to me. For the past few years, we’ve been getting lobster rolls from the Cousins Maine Lobster truck stationed on Mondays in a shopping center not far from our house. They get the lobster directly from Maine. When we had them a few weeks ago, they were $20.50 each and, as you can see, they were loaded with lobster. 

E7839777-CE98-4A4D-905F-2BEAE3EF9F45.jpeg

Currently $23 but without a side. Red Hook includes fries, slaw, salad or whatever, so the price difference is small, especially as one is a truck and one is a restaurant. 

I don't get lobster rolls.   Sure, as a cheap seaside sandwich on Highway 1 in Maine, they beat hamburgers.   But I'd rather have the same quantity of dressed lobster on a plate with some decent bread.    (I'll never be French; I'll never be Yankee!)

23 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

You probably have a problem with hot dogs as well.

Oh, no, I LOVE a good hot dog!   Like Mohamed loads one for me...

577587037_ScreenShot2022-06-27at7_32_16PM.thumb.png.031d5c50d3e19856c35fe069f20dd460.png

There was that Eater writer who objected to anything other than mustard on a hot dog, but since he turned out to be an erstwhile Nazi, I think we have to be open-minded and say load them up, for better or worse.