Mumbai Munchies

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A joy to go through this thread, especially with the sweet memories of Tony being evoked.

I'm going to India and hoping someone can cut down the Mumbai recommendations to two or three, based on fondness for fish and veg, and not wanting meat. High end only, "bring your own water" sounds like a warning sign to me.

Also, in Delhi, I'm staying at the Maurya Sheraton, supposed to be great but too Westernized? But would I care as I am a Westerner?

The Malabar House in Kochi has gotten great comments, has anyone ate there? (My one splurge hotel)

Also off the beaten track, any recommendations in Udaipur, or Jodhpur?

My expereince in China was, after trying many local places, the places in the best hotels often had the best food. Tamer than the local stuff but wilder than we get here, and a much lower grease content. Of course, much, much more money. So would I be doing well just to head over to the nearest Oberoi or Taj for a meal?

at the maurya in delhi, you have to eat at dum pukht and bukhara. these are the restaurants that defined high-end north-indian (roughly speaking) restaurant cuisine in india. go for dinner, not lunch.

go to saravana bhavan in connaught place for south indian veg.

Thanks Mongo!

And if you were recommending only two in Mumbai, which high end ones would you recommend?

i don't know bombay so well, but you should go to the konkan cafe in the taj president. as for other bombay meals, avoid trishna, which will be recommended highly to you (as it is to all foreigners). it is the equivalent of eating at a "sex and the city" restaurant in nyc. at the middle end, go to swati snacks. since you're not going to calcutta, you may as well try to make it to the bombay outpost of oh, calcutta (yes, that's the name), the bengali restaurant that's spread to the major cities. they get good reviews, and it's food you'll never get in the u.s (ditto for swati snacks).

when are you in delhi? (i'm here now.) how many meals do you have in town?

Thanks Mongo!

And if you were recommending only two in Mumbai, which high end ones would you recommend?

i don't know bombay so well, but you should go to the konkan cafe in the taj president. as for other bombay meals, avoid trishna, which will be recommended highly to you (as it is to all foreigners). it is the equivalent of eating at a "sex and the city" restaurant in nyc. at the middle end, go to swati snacks. since you're not going to calcutta, you may as well try to make it to the bombay outpost of oh, calcutta (yes, that's the name), the bengali restaurant that's spread to the major cities. they get good reviews, and it's food you'll never get in the u.s (ditto for swati snacks).

when are you in delhi? (i'm here now.) how many meals do you have in town?

Thanks for the tips.

I arrive 12/26, have 3 nights.

I heard the Oberoi has good food, although Northwest Frontier cuisine sounds pretty meaty. And the Hilton's restaurant (where I'll be) get's some good reviews although I'm not sure I want Asian Fusion my first night.

Swati Snacks looked appealing from what I've scene, but to be honest, on the first couple of nights I'm very orthodox about what and where I eat, by the end of the trip, I"m much more adventurous if I"ve been healthy until then. (Orthodox means only stuff well cooked, in places that are expensive and catering to Westerners). I have 17 nights in all, plenty of time to get more authentic.

unfortunately, your delhi stay overlaps with my trip to calcutta--i leave tomorrow morning, so i won't be able to volunteer to show you around.

the oberoi in delhi has decent restaurants--kandahar, for one (and they used to have a very good thai restaurant as well). but bukhara and dum pukht are best in class. bukhara for north-western frontier cuisine and dum pukht for nawabi food from lucknow. bukahara's signature dish is their famous dal. all the grilled meats and breads are great too.

and swati snacks (which is in bombay) is not going to make you sick. you're going to be buying mineral water to drink regardless of where you eat, so that's really not much of an issue. whether you eat a restaurant in a 5-star hotel or a good non-hotel restaurant (such as swati snacks) you'll be drinking mineral water out of a bottle (make sure it is unsealed table-side) and avoiding ice and any kind of raw salads or garnishes. and there really isn't an authentic/inauthentic divide between most 5-star hotel restaurants and non-hotel restaurants; mostly, the divide is of price. and for high quality northern indian food the best stuff is in the hotels anyway. it is just that there's a lot of stuff, cuisine-wise, which just isn't in the hotels. but the places outside the 5-star hotels span the full spectrum of ambience etc.. there are lots of expensive, fancy places outside the hotels as well, especially in bombay.

you're referring to the hilton in bombay, right? i think you said you were at the maurya sheraton in delhi. i don't really know the landscape of 5-star hotel restaurants in bombay. and i don't know kochi, udaipur or jodhpur at all.

• 1 month later...

Well, Trishna was recommended by so many other people that I went. Foolish me, when Mongo spoke true.

Not a bad meal, but the worst in Mumbai. Swati Snacks was very good. I loved Mahesh Lunch Home (tanoori pomret with gassi). And Kandahar in the Oberoi was elegant, refined and delicious.

i ate a very good meal at mahesh as well. and also at swati snacks and britannia and a few others. yet again, i did not make it to the konkan cafe--i try to go and my friends all say to go to mahesh or ankur or excellensea instead.

when do you get to delhi?

In Delhi Friday.

Kerala food was outstanding (Malabar Hotel, and a private housebaot chef).

Jodhpur had great chicken at "On the Rocks"

In Udaipur, the Oberoi is superb, Jagat Niwas is not so hot but great view keeps me coming back.