• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not waiting for Cristina or Jaymes! I want ceviche! But first, whiat happened to all those other cooking project threads? They've vanished!   My ceviche probably isn't a real dish but I can alwa

Daisy, have you ever made the scallop ceviche with frozen scallops? I have a Trader Joe package in the freezer and I wonder if it's worth doing defrosted. With all the strong flacors, I don't think it

Ceviche mixto

• 4 months later...

Gordo, my favorite ceviches are shrimp ceviches. I eat them like mad when I'm in Mexico and then come back here and suffer constant disappointment in the quality of shrimp I can get.

When I make it, I'm using frozen shrimp and always par-boil them. I don't think you need to fully cook them, but I think it's recommended that you give them a quick boil for safety's sake.

However, in Mexico the best I've had were definitely made with raw shrimp. The texture difference was noticeable. But this was at places where they got the shrimp live that morning.

I think it's pretty well-established that Peru is the culinary home of ceviche and pre-dates the conquest, even though, obviously, the use of citrus was post-conquest. I know that there was some suggestion that tamarillos might have been used pre-conquest.

In Peru I think the most common accompaniment in a ceviche is red onion (julienned). At a Peruvian restaurant here in Portland, they do a modern version with green mangoes and passion fruit juice that is terrific.

I'm working on a ceviche report for Portland and another place has a really tasty ceviche that mixes in coconut cream and ginger to give it a creamy texture and balance the tanginess.

There's also another place that does one sort of Veracruz style, with olive oil, capers, olives, and tomatoes. Very yummy.

In Mexico, 99% of ceviches are very similar: diced tomatoes, diced onions, and diced fish, shrimp, or other seafood in a limey dressing with cilantro served with a side of tostadas, chips, or soda crackers. Very clean and simple. I think the most common mistake with ceviche is to make it too limey or to use limes that are too bitter and old.

You must have brought the Mexico weather home with you, too. Here in Portland while I was in Mexico it was in the 50s. Now it's in the 90s. We're setting records up here. Uncooked food sounds a lot better.

• 1 year later...

OK, since no one has come up with something more authentic, here is a loose interpretation from The Breat Ceviche Book (Douglas Rodriguez) for a lobster ceviche which I guess you can adapt for other fish or shellfish:

1 jalapeño

2 tbs. chopped fresh ginger

1/2 cup (lobster) stock (for which I guess you could substitute clam juice, oyster juice, etc.)

1 tbs. sugar

1/2 cup lime juice

1 14oz can unsweetened coconut milk

1 1/2 pounds (lobster) or fish or shellfish of your choice

1/2 red onion, thinly sliced

1/4 cup shaved coconut

2 tbs. sliced green onion

1 tbs. finely chopped fresh chives

3 tbs. finely choped fresh cilantro leaves

Puree in a blender the jalapeño, ginger, stock, sugar, lime juice and coconut milk. In a non-reactive bowl, toss the fish with this puree. Sprinkle with red onion, shaved coconut, green onions, chives and cilantro

My favorite fish to eat ceviche is blue fish.. I like cream and too much garlic and red onion. I am thinking that buttered fresh croutons might be interesting.. But I love those puffy corn guys.