[SF] Dining in the 'hipper Mission'

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooohhhhh! That does look good. They may be the Cellini, which is a smaller runner beans than the Runner Cannellini. They're a little whiter, smaller and they hold their shape better.

Shhhhh! I just delivered a sack of posole/hominy so it should be back soon.

It was spanky delicous. I did everything but lick my plate. The beans were billed as flageolet on the menu, but the Shadow knows what lurks in the hearts of kitchens.

c

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bauer on Garcon in today's Chron. He loved the soup!

The onion soup at Cafe de La Presse may be hard to beat, but I'd find it difficult to choose it over the version at Garcon ($6.50). Served in a double-handled crock, the bread is soaked with broth; Swiss cheese blankets the top, easily parting to reveal the savory liquid below with a mere hint of sweetness from the melting onions.
Hard to believe he had the same soup we did.

(But I must say the onion soup at Cafe de la Presse is seriously good.)

Bauer on Garcon in today's Chron. He loved the soup!
The onion soup at Cafe de La Presse may be hard to beat, but I'd find it difficult to choose it over the version at Garcon ($6.50). Served in a double-handled crock, the bread is soaked with broth; Swiss cheese blankets the top, easily parting to reveal the savory liquid below with a mere hint of sweetness from the melting onions.
Hard to believe he had the same soup we did.

(But I must say the onion soup at Cafe de la Presse is seriously good.)

Yeah, I read the review and wondered what restaurant he'd been to and when I could go. :( If I hadn't seen Pulp Fiction, I might have thought that Garcon meant "Expensive and indifferent."

c

• 2 months later...

We ate ate Luna Park before seeing The Magnificance of Disaster at the Marsh. No reservations, but got seated right away a little after six. It filled up fast afterwards. We thought about Range, but it was a little pricey for tonight. Someday though. . .

Anyway, we started with "curry" spiced pork satay on mint cucumber slaw. Three skewers of chunks of pork mildly seasoned so they tasted like sausage on a bed of shredded cucumber, cabbage, carrot, and herbs (mint and cilantro, I think) with a vaguely Thai dipping sauce. I liked it a lot. The meat was tender and juicy; the slaw crisp. Before that came some decent French bread and some really good butter. I forgot to ask what kind it was.

I had a Cobb salad (damn diet) and Rachel had achiote coated chicken which came with a mixed green salad and a small ear of corn. I'd eat it again, nice chunks of bacon mixed with crumbled blue cheese (gorgonzola maybe?) and crumbled hard-cooked egg. A nice amount of grilled chicken breast too. The roasted chicken was nicely cooked, mildy spiced. I didn't try the corn, but she said it was good and had some chile on it.

She ordered the make your own s'mores for dessert. House-baked graham crackers accompanied by a pot of chocolate sauce and a pot of marshmallow over small flames. If you like s'mores then this is a good rendition, though not being near a campfire takes away from the appeal, I think. The graham crackers were good, as was the chocolate sauce. Neither was too sweet. The marshmallows were packaged, I think.

The waitress was nice, though a bit distant which was fine with me. She passed the napkin test twice. The place was pleasant to start, but got very loud very quickly. Maybe it was the rowdy group at the bar, but it was hard to talk even across the little table. Despite that, it was a very nice meal. I'd eat there again. Total cost with tax and tip was just over $60, including an iced tea and a diet coke which were both refilled several times.

• 2 weeks later...

Had dinner at Limon tonight before the 48 Hour Film Project show at the Roxie. Modern Peruvian is what I think the waiter called it. Anyway, it was delicious. I had Pechuga de Pato: Pan-roasted Muscovy duck breast, over foie gras tacu-tacu, sauteéd tat-soi and duck jus. Tacu-tacu is a traditional Peruvian dish according to the waiter, beans and rice mashed together. Carb-laden stodge, but tasty carb-laden stodge, went well with the duck. I'm definitely going back.

Edit: they gave us a free sample of an appetizer of a chunk of boiled potato with a creamy, spicy green sauce I was too busy savoring to think about what was in it in any detail. It was a special that the waiter seemed disappointed we didn't order.

Not necessarily hip, but very good... Mitchell's Ice Cream and Philz Coffee.

Mitchell's ice cream is an old institution but it was my first time there recently. I had an incredible toasted almond ice cream--sweet cream ice cream generously filled with crushed slices of toasted almonds. A friend had a delicious ice cream made from a tropical fruit from South America I had never heard of; the ice cream color was orange and the flavor had maple overtones. They have a lot of interesting tropical fruit flavors.

We also dropped by for a hand made single serving drip coffee at Philz. We had the special house bean blend which was rich, smooth and delcious. The cup was served with a sprig of fresh mint of top--amazingly to me it worked with the coffee.

• 2 weeks later...

i really love Dosa, though was dissappointed by the desserts; i gave the owner the contact details for an ice cream maker who makes seriously divine exotic flavoured ices and ice creams, so maybe by now this has been added? really loved the foods we ate; there were two of us and we were in dosa idly sambar heaven. and i liked the way they paired the south indian foods with the wines. really outstanding.

foreign cinema is always so classy, reliably delicious, nd never fails to delight those i take there.

medjoul another fave, though once i got a waiter who was so terrible (or was it a waitress) and i complained so much (which is not like me) that she got fired on the spot. but really yummy food though, and i'm back whenever i have a chance.

such as next week or so. i am missing san fran like crazy.

marlena

Philz Coffee.

We also dropped by for a hand made single serving drip coffee at Philz. We had the special house bean blend which was rich, smooth and delcious. The cup was served with a sprig of fresh mint of top--amazingly to me it worked with the coffee.

Ranitidine and I stumbled on Philz by accident when we were in S.F. last week. It was too late in the afternoon for me to drink any coffee, but the sip I had of R's was really good, almost chocolately in its smoothness and body. They would like to open a branch in NYC, we were told, but don't know the right

place.

It'll be be back. Watch for something new with flageolet.

I think he doesn't want to be known for just that dish. Sort of like Chaka Khan not wanting to have to sing I Feel For You for the rest of her life.

He's also aware that in that neighborhood flageoletion is in.

• 2 weeks later...

I ate at Bar Tartine last night. Started with pickled sardine crostini, which were divine. Also those little french cheese balls (can't remember the name right now), gorgonzola stuffed dates. Sardines won hands down.

Excellent salad of yellow tomatoes and watermelon. Savory watermelon must be the buzzword this week. That's good!

My main was stuffed quail which at first bite tasted of Thanksgiving but when eaten with the acidic frisee became wonderful. There was still a "heat" taste when the dish arrived, reminding me of the entire meal at Gary Danko. But once it cooled, and teamed with the salad, it was great.

This is a great little place that I would eat at often if I were in the neighborhood. The main dishes were all low 20s with one $17. I really enjoyed it. Very nice atmosphere.

Rube alert: What's with these electronic signs along I-80 that say the number of minutes until you reach your destination?

Downtown San Francisco 12 minutes

On what planet?

It took me about half an hour to drive to the bay bridge and then another 45 minutes to get into the city.

I'm an old fart. I don't enjoy these city trips and if it weren't work-related....