What are you drinking?

'course it could be breakfast, lunch, whatever....

As some already know, I always make a cocktail on arrival home from work. It is my nature to focus on variety rather than perfection when making something myself. I would never make the same drink (or cook the same food) repeatedly to achieve the perfect form and would look to find that in a bar or restaurant instead.

A while ago I prepared a concoction called 'Usquebaugh, the Irish Cordial' from the Time Life Beverages book. I fear I left it to infuse too long. Ingredients are Irish whiskey, cloves, cardamom, raisins, nutmeg, sugar cubes rubbed over Seville orange, saffron, brown sugar. The cloves are too dominant and the raisins, despite their quantity, have contributed little. Duly filtered, it is disappointing but still drinkable, by myself at least. A shot glass a day till it runs out.

v

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure I have much to contribute here, being a man of abstemious habits, but last night saw a couple of H.P. Whitneys (see the Perfect Martini thread) precede the Pisco Sour at Prune. A drop of Bonny Doon vin de glaciere followed the Bonny Doon vin gris, and there would have been a smidgen of Courvoisier as a night-cap if I hadn't been caught hanging around the refrigerator and marched up the metaphorical wooden stairs to Bedfordshire without further ado.

This evening will begin in more stately fashion, with a quartino of Nero d'Avola. Where it will end, who can tell? :ph43r:

Perhaps this would do better in the bars and boozing section....

Drinking for me definitely more interesting than eating at the moment. This evening, a vodka highball on arrival home - that is, vodka with ginger ale and lemon peel. Then a thimbleful of aforementioned Usquebaugh. I'm getting used to the taste of cloves. Then (now) opened a bottle of Alsatian riesling that has been lying around since before last summer, i.e. should have been ruined by the heat, but instead, surprisingly healthy and good, while not great: Kuentz-Bas Rangen 1998. I do like Alsatian wine.

v

Drinking is obviously more important than eating, and generally comes first. I don't know about more interesting. Anyway, if anyone fancies stalking me I'll have my snoot in a glass of red at In Vino or Il Postino Accanto in a couple of hours time.

Drinking for me definitely more interesting than eating at the moment.

I had a period when i fancied myself as a wine connoisseur in the making: luckily the lack of disposable income forced to make a hard choice prioritizing my hobbies :( ... i chose food :rolleyes:

In the meantime the dear husband went through his own cycle: during his long and frequent flights to Asia he developed an interest in cocktails that progressed rapidly (reinforced after his recent visit to Russia) to home-steeped (brewed?) so called after-dinner drinks... His Kahlua was damn good, and we're waiting to see how horseradish/honey thing comes along :ph43r:

Vanessa, that spiced whiskey sounds like it might be a marvelous flavoring for ice cream (Irish coffee?). Or creme anglaise. Or chocolate cake. Or...

Irish coffee - a nice idea. At the moment it seems to be doing fine simply going down my throat. However the flavour imbalance towards cloves prevents me from offering it to guests, unfortunately.

The glass of riesling last night was followed by a nightcap of the Hancock's bourbon with a splash of water. When this is finished I shall be obliged to acquire another bottle of 'classy' bourbon, for comparison :angry:

A typical example of a less moderate evening of drink for me. I'll never, ever polish off a bottle of wine on my own as I want a different taste for each glass. But I'll drink the equivalent, or nearly, in varied libations.

When referring to drinking being more interesting than eating, the activity of cooking was implicitly included in the word 'eating' - they are inseparable for me, which is why eating out, much as I love it, is of lower priority than eating in. Cooking requires a focus I don't have at the moment.

v

V, any suggestions what to do with sloe gin? Gordon's has just launched a version that i love although a purist like you would probably find it an abomination. ;)

Purist? Moi? All my base spirits for cocktails are supermarket own brands.

Sloe gin makes very nice cocktails. Gordons have been doing Sloe Gin for years as far as I am aware. I'll look some out at home.

v

A dolcetto.

A Sicilian wine called "La Segreta" - big and fruity.

An Italian Cabernet Franc - spicy.

The end of the Alain Voge Vielles Vignes Cornas.

A drop of Courvoisier.

Not bad for a Tuesday.

there would have been a smidgen of Courvoisier as a night-cap if I hadn't been caught hanging around the refrigerator

Do you keep your Courvoisier in the fridge? Or were you after ice cubes. If so, do you drink your Courvoisier on ice?

Is this a grilling or what?

A dolcetto.

A Sicilian wine called "La Segreta" - big and fruity.

An Italian Cabernet Franc - spicy.

The end of the Alain Voge Vielles Vignes Cornas.

A drop of Courvoisier.

Not bad for a Tuesday.

Thanks for reminding us of your dreaminess :wub:

v