What are you drinking?

i love a cocktail on friday night.

now that it's getting warm i'm making "condors"--2 oz ecuadorian rum, an oz of espirtu del ecuador tropical fruit liqueur, and an oz of lime, shaken over ice and served up in a chilled glass.

other favorites are caipirissimas [made with rum instead of cachaca] and mojitos--because i have lots of good spearmint in my garden. though it's not necessary, i like crushed mint in my caiprissimas, too.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A vodka martini, serving as a gentle reminder that I'm just not a martini girl. More Usquebaugh of course.

My extravagance for this salary month arrived today: a case from the Wine Society - posh Australian this time.

v

Vanessa, that spiced whiskey sounds like it might be a marvelous flavoring for ice cream (Irish coffee?).  Or creme anglaise.  Or chocolate cake.  Or...

Oh, yes, Cathy! Good ideas all. One more: how about separating out the raisins and making a variation on rum-raisin ice cream, then serving it in a pool of the liquour?

In one of her very early posts, Cabrales mentioned that she kept champagne in the refrigerator, and had a glass each night when she came home. I thought that one over and decided it was a pretty neat idea. So, now, every late afternoon, my husband and I share a glass of champagne and a few munchies. It feels so civilized and makes facing dinner decisions much less painful.

I also love a quote from Joy Sterling of Iron Horse Winery. She said that she always had a bottle or so of champagne in the frige since you never know when something good will happen, or something bad! ;)

Guest johnboy

Last night waaayyyy too many cheap vodka's and coke and then when we got home at about 4am David made us some fantastic Cosmos.

Needless to say, today is not proving all that productive.

Ah, you young people.

One moment I am sitting in the Blue Room, reading from Heidegger's 1925 lecture course on the concept of time, and sipping a pint of Sierra Nevada pale ale. The next moment, the lights are switched off and someone starts howling at an electric piano. So I repaired to a nearby cocktail lounge and permitted the staff to ply me with Manhattans until supper time. In the inadvertent absence of other bourbons, they made them with Wild Turkey.

Sat. - 4-5 Brandy and Drys, half bottle of Australian rose/half bottle of Cote de Rhone

Sun. - 2 Brandy and Drys, half bottle of Australian sparkling/ half bottle of red

Mon. - 3 Kir Royale, half bottle of red

Tues. - one Bowmore

Wed. - one Talisker

Thurs. - Half bottle of yet to be decided

Wildrid, because you have mentioned Wild Turkey on more than one occassion, I thought that I would share two little pieces of trivia with you.

First, its nickname is the 'Kickin' Chicken"

Second, about 4 years ago there was a fire at the Austin Nichols distillery and a river of flaming bourbon ran into the Kentucky River near Frankfort after several barns containing thousands of barrells of uncut bourbon collapsed in the conflagration. They say the fish died happy.

Sat - 2 v.strong Lychee martini's and 1/2 bottle of Waitrose's excellent manzanilla

Sun- 1/2 bottle of red wine with lunch (mainly purchased because it was called something like Cellarhand The BackChat Blend) and one lychee martini pm

Mon- nothing

Tues - one glass of Stella

Wed - 1/2 bottle of red wine

Tonight - probably a few lagers and maybe a cocktail or two

Wildrid, because you have mentioned Wild Turkey on more than one occassion, I thought that I would share two little pieces of trivia with you.

First, its nickname is the 'Kickin' Chicken"

Second, about 4 years ago there was a fire at the Austin Nichols distillery and a river of flaming bourbon ran into the Kentucky River near Frankfort after several barns containing thousands of barrells of uncut bourbon collapsed in the conflagration. They say the fish died happy.

And the barman who was making my cocktails last night happens to be from Turkey. He has decided to adopt Wild Turkey as his nickname; I suggested he have a tee-shirt made.

Thurs. = half a bottle of red Burgundy and two Taliskers.

Fri. = noticed half a glass of whisky left over from previous night, scored that on the way to the gym this morning.