Looks like this is going to be a whopper...I'm watching the weather channel, and I think perhaps this time they are NOT exagerating the situation.

While it disturbs me to imagine my favorite city underwater, beyond the property damage, it looks like there is a real threat to personal safety...I hope the evacuation goes smoothly as possible.

Best thoughts to any MF members in the LA, FL and AL areas

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lots of family and friends in the line of Katrina...they are all evacuated.

According to FEMA...they have run models on 'what if' a Cat. 5 hit NOLA...catatstrophic is the word most often used. They predict the levees will fail. 20 feet of water at least...It would also be a major health danger as the city's sewage would blend with the flood waters. It's starting to look like the worst hurricane since references have been available. The pressure is lower than the pressure Andrew had when it hit S. FL...(Andrew was at 922-Katrina is at 902 and dropping). Pretty damn scary.

I have lots of family and friends in the line of Katrina...they are all evacuated.

..... The pressure is lower than the pressure Andrew had when it hit S. FL...(Andrew was at 909-Katrina is at 902 and dropping). Pretty damn scary.

I hope your family and friends make out OK, Evelyn

One weather observer has noted the various authorities didn't convey much of a sense of urgency prior to Katrina's initial US landfall, leading to widespread damage. Given the potentially much more serious situation on the Gulf Coast, they're not taking any chances of under-estimating.

..... The pressure is lower than the pressure Andrew had when it hit S. FL...(Andrew was at 909-Katrina is at 902 and dropping). Pretty damn scary.

I hope your family and friends make out OK, Evelyn

One weather observer has noted the various authorities didn't convey much of a sense of urgency prior to Katrina's initial US landfall, leading to widespread damage. Given the potentially much more serious situation on the Gulf Coast, they're not taking any chances of under-estimating.

Rail Paul...did you mean to say Andrew?

The mayor of NOLA and the Governor of LA have been on the ball on this one.

Can you imagine not being able to evacuate and having to go to the Superdome for your shelter...the mayor even mentioned it could be very unpleasant when they lose power...but, better than trying to brave the storm. There are so many homeless in the area and people out in the swamps...there has been speculation that if people don't heed the warnings and head to higher ground or shelters that the loss of life could be the highest in modern time. One of the studies suggests that over 20,000 people could be homeless if the Cat 5 hits NOLA at 'just the right (wrong) time.

Thank you for your thoughts. My friends and family may not have much to come back to...but, they will live through this...and that's what counts.

Andrew was a huge storm where the reality outweighed the forecast, but I really did mean Katrina earlier this week when it landed in Broward / Dade.

One of my associates (north Broward area) told me that a category one storm means nothing. That was before he had a few thousand dollars damage to his house from broken glass and water. He didn't bother to put up plywood, and his neighbors left some large potted plants outside, so...

According to news reports, many people are now in their cars, stuck in gridlock on I10 heading west. Anybody that's ever been on that bridge over the bayous knows how terrible it would be to have to ride out a hurricane in your car, stuck on a highway, especially one perched precariously over a Louisiana swamp.

This could easily turn into the worst disaster in U. S. history. The levees surely cannot withstand that deluge.

I spent ten glorious days in New Orleans when I was 23. It is a wonderful city with a unique spirit. I'm afraid of what's coming.

Oh my. What about the people without cars? What about the very poor?

Supposedly the poor in the outlying bayous have been evacuated by the local police, and the guard and taken to shelters, such as schools. In the city proper, they're being housed in the Superdome, now dubbed the 'Superhome.'

Wow, slightly miraculous that Katrina weakened overnight. From Yahoo: a couple of smallish holes were ripped into the Superdome roof.

"I could have stayed at home and watched my roof blow off," said one of the refugees, Harald Johnson, 43. "Instead, I came down here and watched the Superdome roof blow off. It's no big deal; getting wet is not like dying."

He's so right. :lol: