Sign in to follow this  
omnivorette

Dishes with corn

Today I successfully duplicated Momofuku's corn dish. This is way up there in favorite foods of this year so far. Here's what I did:

Roasted some onions in the oven - cut them in half, put cut side down on a tiny bit of EVOO on a cookie sheet. Roasted at 350 for about an hour, then shut off the oven and left them in there overnight. Removed outer layers, cut them into pieces, put aside.

Cut up some bacon into cubes, rendered it until browned, removed pieces.

Removed kernels of corn from the husks, then sauteed the kernels in the bacon fat until some of it just got a bit brown.

Mixed corn, bacon, and onion together, then kept that warm in a low oven until ready to serve.

Made miso butter - got butter very soft and mixed in some red miso paste.

Just when ready to serve, stirred in the miso butter until melted and incorporated.

Sprinkled chopped scallion on the top.

Outrageously good - big hit with everybody, including the kids.

What corn dishes are on your lists?

(Edit: I find the miso in the excellent health food store in Bennington)

Chicken roasted surrouned with vertically halved corn cobs chunks: against the common wisdom i succeeded to cut raw cobs with not much problem so now i just need to wait until it gets a bit cooler to switch on the oven.

corn maque choux- fresh corn cut from the cob sauteed in butter/olive oil with diced onion, scallion, tomatoes, celery, minced garlic, black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper.

Finished with a large tablespoonful of creme fraiche.

charcoal grilled corn on the cob. Then cut off the cob. Mixed with avocado, black beans, jalepeño, and tomato, lime juice, a touch of cumin chopped cilantro and EVOO.

Today I made the Creamless Creamed Corn from Tom Colicchio's Think Like a Chef.

We went fruit and veg picking at the weekend and got the cobs for 15p/28c each.

Kitchen got covered in corn debris - they don't bloody tell you that in the recipe :lol: . I got covered in corn debris, I had only about 40% vision from my specs (corn debris). :lol:

Fantastic dish. A new fave in the Friar house.

So simple and brainless it embarrasses me: Cut the very fresh corn off the cob, mince a lot of garlic, mix it all with softentd butter. Put it in a shallow soup bowl and microwave it for about four minutes.

You can serve it as is, cooled and mixed with chopped tomatoes, warm with carmelized onions, in a salad with tomatoes and blanched sugar-snap peas, etc.

So simple and brainless it embarrasses me: Cut the very fresh corn off the cob, mince a lot of garlic, mix it all with softentd butter. Put it in a shallow soup bowl and microwave it for about four minutes.

You can serve it as is, cooled and mixed with chopped tomatoes, warm with carmelized onions, in a salad with tomatoes and blanched sugar-snap peas, etc.

Guest johnboy

I like corn fritters. Fresh cooked corn kernels (from about 3 cobs) into a bowl, a tablespoon of flour to bind and then fold in two beaten egg whites. Drop spoonfulls into a hot greased pan and fry until golden on both sides. Light, delicious and a nice little side dish for fried chicken or even fish (stackable too!)

Guest Suzanne F

Dessert idea.

Another dessert idea: corn ice cream. Wayne Harley Brachman used to do one at Mesa Grill that was astonishing. Corn, cream, and sugar simmered, then pureed and strained, milk added, made into a custard base with brown sugar, egg yolks, and bourbon. "Chunky style" has corn kernels lightly cooked in simple syrup folded in. Recipe is in Cakes and Cowpokes.

Dessert idea.

Another dessert idea: corn ice cream. Wayne Harley Brachman used to do one at Mesa Grill that was astonishing. Corn, cream, and sugar simmered, then pureed and strained, milk added, made into a custard base with brown sugar, egg yolks, and bourbon. "Chunky style" has corn kernels lightly cooked in simple syrup folded in. Recipe is in Cakes and Cowpokes.

I love the sweet corn gelato at Otto.

Today I made the Creamless Creamed Corn from Tom Colicchio's Think Like a Chef.

We went fruit and veg picking at the weekend and got the cobs for 15p/28c each.

Kitchen got covered in corn debris - they don't bloody tell you that in the recipe  . I got covered in corn debris, I had only about 40% vision from my specs (corn debris). 

Fantastic dish. A new fave in the Friar house.

:lol: Sam, I did this on your rec. Its wonderful. I didn't have time to grate the corn, so I cut it off and put it through the juicer. It works really well. But I still got corn pieces flying off onto the floor as I cut the corn off the ears. That's a lot of corn he uses in that recipe (and we halved it, it was still a lot of corn). Mid way through I went back to the cupboard and got out the biggest bowl I own, that and a bigger knife (my biggest chef's knife) and that helped a lot to keep the corn more neatly in the bowl.

Its rather fascinating watching that corn juice suddenly turning thick almost gooey.

At this time of year one of the most common sights in our home is to see ears of corn on the grill. Its ridiculously simple and has millions of variations. I might peel back the husk and slather the interior in miso butter, cover it back up again and throw on the grill, or try a combo of rum, ancho chili powder, and butter.... sometimes do lime, butter, and garlic, etc.

Over the weekend I made a corn pudding with bacon and roasted poblanos. It's almost gone and I"m going to make it again and again until the corn season is over.

Don't throw out the cobs after you scrape off the kernels! Chop them into pieces 1 to 2 inches long, toss in a stock pot with mirepoix (go easy on the onion), cover with water (or half chicken stock, half water if you don't care if it's not vegetarian), and simmer for an hour or so. Voilà: corn stock to use as a base for soups. (But don't try to reduce it like chicken or meat stock; it will lose its flavor and of course never thicken.) It freezes well.

You can dry the husks to use for tamale or other wrapped foods.

Somehow there might be a way to preserve the silk, which makes an excellent tea to comfort an upset stomach.