Dishes with corn

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the weekend I made a corn pudding with bacon and roasted poblanos. It's almost gone and I"m going to make it again and again until the corn season is over.

Recipe?

We've been pretty underwhelmed with the local corn this year.

This is adaped from the Herbfarm Cookbook. He calls for smoked trout and roasted red pepper. From memory (flour portions might be off slightly):

take 4 ears of corn (and this is the genius part), run a knife down the center of the rows. Then take a sturdy spoon and scrape down the length of the cob, which will extract mostly milk and leave the "skin" of the corn. He says this should give you a cup, but I got much more, I think closer to 2 cups which was fine by me.

I think I used about 1 cup of diced bacon and two roasted poblanos. It was pretty spicy so if you want something more tame I'd use one poblano.

Mix together about 1-2 T of flour with 1 egg til smooth. Then mix in another egg. To that add 1/4 c milk and 1/4 cup cream. Pinch of cayenne and black pepper to taste. Mix in bacon and poblanos. Oh and 1 1/2 T of marjoram but I'm not sure how much that brought to the dish. He says to make individual puddings but I dumped it all into one souffle dish that had been coated in butter and then grated parmesan. Put that in a water bath (not sure if that was necessary but it made the texture quite nice) and then into a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until brown and puffy.

Seth I've been using Sy-something - the vendor in front of Republic essentially and I've been pretty happy with that corn.

Thanks, Abbylovi. That looks SO good, and we're still harvesting our own corn.

Someone told me a neat trick when dealing with corn: use a bundt pan, and stand the ear up in the middle. All the scrapings will land in the pan, and you won't have corn-fetti everywhere.

Roasted some onions in the oven - cut them in half, put cut side down on a tiny bit of EVOO on a cookie sheet. Roasted at 350 for about an hour, then shut off the oven and left them in there overnight.
Outrageously good - big hit with everybody, including the kids.

I know this post is a couple of years old and apparently nobody died, but I'd never risk serving something that had been previously-cooked then left in a cold oven overnight, especially not to children.

What food borne illness could be carried by roasted onions with olive oil? It seems to me that Americans are enormously more paranoid about this sort of thing than people anywhere else in the world. Other than mayonnaise in the hot sun (which also gets drastically over exaggerated), I don't think there's much danger in leaving cooked ingredients out of the refrigerator. Can anyone with a science background tell me otherwise? I wouldn't leave meat or dairy items out, but I don't see a danger with vegetables at all.

From the NIH:

Fruits and vegetables may become contaminated when they are growing or when they are processed. But it can also happen in your kitchen if you leave food out for more than 2 hours at room temperature.

I might take a chance if it were just myself and it were a bit more than 2 hours, but when I'm responsible for feeding other people, especially children, it's not worth the risk.

What food borne illness could be carried by roasted onions with olive oil? It seems to me that Americans are enormously more paranoid about this sort of thing than people anywhere else in the world. Other than mayonnaise in the hot sun (which also gets drastically over exaggerated), I don't think there's much danger in leaving cooked ingredients out of the refrigerator. Can anyone with a science background tell me otherwise? I wouldn't leave meat or dairy items out, but I don't see a danger with vegetables at all.

There are a couple, most notably Bacillus cereus. It won't kill you, but the symptoms are unpleasant.

At the North Fork Table this weekend (firmly confirming its place in my heart and mouth) we had a white sweet corn soup with truffled polenta agnolotti which was so extraordinary I almost asked for seconds. I am determined to cook something with corn (local upstate) this coming weekend that somehow involves a bit of truffle essence.

I don't know if this is close to the soup Omni had, but with good, fresh corn and good cream, it would be pretty damn tasty:

1. Take corn stock as mentioned upthread (leave out the carrots if you want it really pale)
  2. Add corn kernels cut from the cob; cook briefly
  3. Puree
  4. Pass through a fine-mesh strainer
  5. Add heavy cream to preferred consistency and/or thin with more stock
  6. Season with salt and pepper (white if you really want it totally ivory)
  7. Bring back up to temperature; do not boil.
Sorry I can't be more specific about quantities -- the recipe I have uses a whole case of corn for the stock, and the kernels from twenty ears. :blush: It was plated with glass noodles, lobster meat, shiitake mushrooms, thai basil, guajillo oil, and a little chopped chives and a pluche of chervil.

Seared scallops with a corn-centric succotash is one of my favorites;blanch and shock lima beans,or snap beans.Saute some shallots in butter,add cooked corn kernels,snaps or beans,maybe a few halved cherry tomatoes.Mix in some chervil and teeny basil leaves,serve scallops on top....late summer on a plate.

Can we move this thread into 'In the Kitchen" or somesuch?

(I'm not mad about corn but the thread's presence in the NY forum is offending my sense of order.)

Fine by me. I guess I started in NY originally because I was trying to duplicate a Momofuku dish. But yes it should be in vegetables.