It's the Fall Preview issue of New York magazine, and there's a profile of Batali's new Meatpacking District place, Del Posto.

It’s also a fact—at least in our crude, cut-to-the-chase estimation—that Del Posto, Batali & Co.’s new 18,000-square-foot cucina classica juggernaut, is an out-and-out bid for four-star recognition in a town where, as far as Italian restaurants go, three’s the max. Not that Batali or his partners, Joe Bastianich, Joe’s mother Lidia (of Felidia fame), and Lupa’s Mark Ladner, would ever admit it. There is no surer way for a star-seeking restaurateur to end up in the soup, after all, than to come right out and say of his latest masterpiece, “If this isn’t a four-star clam shack, I don’t know what is.”

More Fall Preview food stuff

• Like 3
  • Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's the Fall Preview issue of New York magazine, and there's a profile of Batali's new Meatpacking District place, Del Posto.     More Fall Preview food stuff

Actually hiring their CdC did

Wow. I don't disbelieve you in any way but those rates are pretty unbelievable.

My office is in the Meatpacking District so I walked over to see what could be seen -- which is not much. It's just a huge, ripped-up raw space right now; lots of contruction workers hammering, welding, etc, but you wouldn't know it was a restaurant apart from the giant DEL POSTO logo that's on the construction barricade around it.

Interestingly, directly across 10th Ave (in back of Chelsea Markets) is what will be Morimoto, also enormous and in very, very early stages of construction. Batali's place should be open first, if the level of activity at both spaces means anything.

• 3 months later...

Pretty good first meal earlier this week. The space is soaring and VERY spacious, a new concept for the group. The food showed to be very ambitious, not in an avant garde sense, but more stylistically. Actually the food is very classic in every sense. The place is just gigantic. Everyone was present as well, Mario, Lidia and Joe etc. Great energy! I anticipate is progression. BTW the potential is there,****, more a matter if it can deliver?