Croissant bolognese?

And yet, the question remains: Why lasagne, why now, why at Del Posto?

Yeah, like what gives?

“Well, we’ve struggled to find an identity for this restaurant that made sense,” says Ladner.

Weren't you listening in class? it doesn't need to make sense, you just need to make up self-consistent stuff. Like, I had a dream where I was eating Millefoglie but it tasted like meat and I was drooling from how good it was. Then I woke up and realized I was really drooling and biting my lip. Still, I felt like I had to put it on the dreamy menu.

You might say it’s not unlike what Daniel Boulud did with the “db” burger or Thomas Keller with Bouchon’s inimitable quiche. Classic comfort food, refined and redefined. But why 100 layers? “Well, I started with twenty, and just kept going,” says Ladner. “One hundred seemed like a nice even number.”

I think it's time for Nino (can't be everywhere) to up the ante and offer a real thousand leaf lasagna.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's the Fall Preview issue of New York magazine, and there's a profile of Batali's new Meatpacking District place, Del Posto.     More Fall Preview food stuff

Actually hiring their CdC did

Wow. I don't disbelieve you in any way but those rates are pretty unbelievable.

The key part is the 100 layer seared lasagna. THAT's the ticket.

I admit I am curious, but I'm not willing to spend $145 to experience it.

I mean.. they do give you other stuff too...

Anyways, if you are really determined to try this thing (it's not THAT great), the tradizionale is only $75 at lunch time. That's how I tried it.

It's lasagna, right? It's not like it's filled with gold leaf or specially imported meerkats for the bolognese sauce. A nonna with a lot time and pasta on her hands could likely make something just as good and you'd just have change some bulbs or trim a hedge for her.

It's lasagna, right? It's not like it's filled with gold leaf or specially imported meerkats for the bolognese sauce. A nonna with a lot time and pasta on her hands could likely make something just as good and you'd just have change some bulbs or trim a hedge for her.

Yeah, but no Nonna has access to the quality of ingredients they use at DP. It makes a huge difference.

I suppose all the people who swooned about the roast chicken at Lutece (including my wife, so if you make fun of them we're going to have to step outside) were just morons.

Of course. It's not a radical concept that a professional cook in a professional kitchen, charging Del Posto's prices (or Lutece's), can do better than practically all home cooks.

I suppose all the people who swooned about the roast chicken at Lutece (including my wife, so if you make fun of them we're going to have to step outside) were just morons.

Maybe they got the good chickens, while the rest of us were using Perdue oven-stuffer roasters?

There are a hundred layers. Think how thin they must make the pasta. Think of how that must change the texture.

I'm sure it does, and for the better. But that's not technique; that's patience.