• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's the Fall Preview issue of New York magazine, and there's a profile of Batali's new Meatpacking District place, Del Posto.     More Fall Preview food stuff

Actually hiring their CdC did

Wow. I don't disbelieve you in any way but those rates are pretty unbelievable.

Hard to say.

(The 2nd Ave Deli dispute revolved around the raise in rent that was written into their lease. They would have gone from 24,000 to 33,000/Mo and that's for a place that may be expensive for a sandwich but surely not expensive compared to Del Posto and 2ndAD is considerably smaller.)

I think it's never good to have TOO good a deal, especially in such a high profile setting as DP. I can never understand anyone sinking 12 million into something they do not own. It's tricky enough if you do own the property.

• 3 weeks later...
I watched the Del Posto infomercial on Food TV over the weekend. It was noteworthy when Chef Mark Ladner inquired why they were charging $19 for the exact same pasta that they sell at Otto for $9.

Maybe they cook it properly at Del Posto.

This has been raised on Chowhound several times. I did notice a dish of cotechino with lentil salad on the Del Posto menu, and wondered how it differed from the version I ate as a lunch special at Otto. Other than stuffing the cotechino with truffles, I am not sure how the dish could be fancied up to correspond with the higher price.*

*I see it's part of a $120 tasting menu, so perhaps the price of the individual dish isn't really bumped.

I watched the Del Posto infomercial on Food TV over the weekend. It was noteworthy when Chef Mark Ladner inquired why they were charging $19 for the exact same pasta that they sell at Otto for $9.

I saw that too and thought that Batali's sputtering response was great. Something to the effect of we paid $1M for Otto and $10M for Del Posto. :unsure:

I can never understand anyone sinking 12 million into something they do not own.

The area outside the building does smell of laundry detergent.

Okay, so I've thought about it...I see there's a reference to money laundering. Beyond that I'm completely at sea.

Guest Aaron T
I never made such a reference. But putting $12M into a restaurant at the price levels nyc can currently sustain seems odd.

I think that was the reason that Charlie Trotter's never came to the TWC - the projected opening cost got so large that it would have been impossible to recoup his investment...