To me, Midtown is "out of the way" except on those rare occasions like the next few weeks when we're going to City Center many times. Anything above Canal Street (with the exception of Chinatown) is out of the way. ;) Hell, anything outside my apartment door is out of the way, some weeks. ;)

Modify the statement to: "more sense than money and time" and you REALLY define a lot of us. I'd love to go out every night (except that I'd miss cooking :( ) but have neither time nor money to do so.

Poor word of mouth apparently doesn't stop some MFers, who recently visited a place in order to mock it. (I'll post a link to the thread when I have a chance to find it.)* There is a certain fascination with road accidents, after all. ;)

*I looked, but couldn't find specific threads, sorry. Must be buried in other threads. But Wilf's confirmation below makes me feel like I'm not imagining things. ;)

Edited by Suzanne F
  • Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's the Fall Preview issue of New York magazine, and there's a profile of Batali's new Meatpacking District place, Del Posto.     More Fall Preview food stuff

Actually hiring their CdC did

Wow. I don't disbelieve you in any way but those rates are pretty unbelievable.

Funny because I almost posted the same question yesterday. But it looks like Orik nailed it.

Despite liking the food at Babbo, I have little interest in visiting Del Posto, aside from checking out the space. I'm guessing it would be a long, overpriced evening that I'd regret halfway into it. Even if the dishes were nailed, which sounds like a big if, I can tell from reading the menu that the highs aren't going to be consistently high enough. I'd rather splurge at Yasuda. Or spend less at Babbo.

Wilfrid, I don't see what the purpose is to use posters here as a barometer of a restaurant's quality, attraction, etc.

I was just struck by the way people rushed off to sample Gilt (as nux said) and Telepan and Balue Gans and THOR and other places, while a new Batali venture seemed to leave them cold.

The "out of the way places" comment makes no sense. I suppose you mean "out of the way" from where you're sitting. Zucco is perhaps an obvious example; it is not out of the way for me, or for several other active posters.

Why no posts on Morimoto or even the new Nobu 57 (maybe 1?) while Yakitori whatever and Sushi Tsuki have several pages of posts each?

Wilfrid, I don't see what the purpose is to use posters here as a barometer of a restaurant's quality, attraction, etc.

I was just struck by the way people rushed off to sample Gilt (as nux said) and Telepan and Balue Gans and THOR and other places, while a new Batali venture seemed to leave them cold.

The "out of the way places" comment makes no sense. I suppose you mean "out of the way" from where you're sitting. Zucco is perhaps an obvious example; it is not out of the way for me, or for several other active posters.

Why no posts on Morimoto or even the new Nobu 57 (maybe 1?) while Yakitori whatever and Sushi Tsuki have several pages of posts each?

I think you're making two incorrect assumptions.

1. That Tsuki and Yakitori Totto are out of the way for posters.

2. That posters have lukewarm feelings about the above restaurants.

To be clearer, how about the following:

I was just struck by the way people rushed off to sample Gilt (as nux said) and Telepan and Balue Gans and THOR and other places, while a new Nobu venture and a brand spanking new Morimoto seemed to leave them cold.

"Mr. Bastianich claims that Mr. Rubenstein, and his partners, were treated well at various restaurants, with “three months of getting them reservations at Babbo, buying free deserts [and] free wine.”

“We have all documentation on this—reservation requests here, there, for their parties,” said Mr. Bastianich. “I was like their concierge. Then came the requests for unlimited access to all the restaurants—not just Del Posto, but an across-the-board 40 percent discount.”

“We’ve heard different variations of that before,” said Warren Estis, a lawyer for Somerset Partners. “Basically, there’s no truth to it. [Mr. Rubenstein] never asked, but even at a 40 percent discount he’d be overpaying."

;)

Mitchells -- in some cases, familiarity breeds . . . yawn. Hence the lack of notice here of the "new" Nobu venture.

In others, it breeds interest (I happen to love Kurt Gutenbrenner's food so I was interested in THOR, and Blaue Gans is close by in a spot that used to be one of my go-to's) A lot of people like Bill Telepan's food, too.

Unfamiliarity breeds . . . a wait-and-see attitude, in the case of Morimoto. If our Philadelphia brethren would chime in, we might be more inclined to try the place. But so many out-of-towners think "they'll show us NYers" but then don't (remember J. Bildner?? ;) ) there is a certain built-in cautiousness.

Personally, I start from a position of scepticism once a restaurant exceeds a certain size. I would really have to hear some reliable word of mouth before I risked some of these vast meat-packing district operations.