NYT article about raw foods diets. They mention this book by the couple who own Pure Food and Wine in NYC. I have leafed through this book at B&N and what struck me most was that in all of the pictures of the two chefs, other than the cover photo, there is exactly one picture of someone smiling. In every other picture their facial expressions run the gamut from pensive, to downright miserable. Certainly not a selling point with me. Anybody have any experience with the raw foods thing?
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And FYI, they are no longer a couple.

I went to Pure once and it was alright. It was the height of the summer, and things made with fresh vegetables were mostly delicious. Some of the food was stodgy, though, and the service was incredibly slow. That was a year ago and I have never felt the need to return.

Whole Foods Santa Monica invited Farid to a raw food cooking demonstration. I tagged along. People talking about how they felt really pure on the inside because of strict adherence to an entirely raw food diet and when they "cheat" they take a supplement that helps them digest the impurities. There's a raw food restaurant in SM and a raw food culinary school. I recall "cheating" including occassionally steaming a carrot.

It was pretty hard not too see humor in the situation.

About 75%-90% of my diet is vegetarian or grain based. That's they way I grew up eating. I have an open mind about some raw foods, gazpacho for instance is delicious. I like sashimi too.

Living in LA it's the neurosis that's usually attached to raw foods as a movement that turns me off.

Living in LA it's the neurosis that's usually attached to raw foods as a movement that turns me off.

Oh, we have some of the same here in NYC. A very good friend of mine has bouts of raw-foodism. She eats at Quintessence in the EV (awful and expensive) and spends a lot of time whipping things up in a blender. She says she feels the need to 'cleanse'. I've tried telling her, dude, if you didn't drink a half bottle of Ketel One last night you might not feel the need to cleanse today.

Oh, we have some of the same here in NYC. A very good friend of mine has bouts of raw-foodism. She eats at Quintessence in the EV (awful and expensive) and spends a lot of time whipping things up in a blender. She says she feels the need to 'cleanse'. I've tried telling her, dude, if you didn't drink a half bottle of Ketel One last night you might not feel the need to cleanse today.

What's with this cleansing movement. A friend of mine did a one week liver cleanse. It involved eating nothing but raw veggies and brown rice and ended by drinking a quart of grapefruit juice mixed with olive oil. The instructions said to finish on a saturday so he didn't have to do anything the next day. He lost about ten pounds, but I doubt his liver was any better for it.

She says she feels the need to 'cleanse'. I've tried telling her, dude, if you didn't drink a half bottle of Ketel One last night you might not feel the need to cleanse today.

EXACTLY. Why is it everyone I know who is into Macrobiotics, raw food, veganism etc etc is also a great big druggie.

She says she feels the need to 'cleanse'.  I've tried telling her, dude, if you didn't drink a half bottle of Ketel One last night you might not feel the need to cleanse today.

EXACTLY. Why is it everyone I know who is into Macrobiotics, raw food, veganism etc etc is also a great big druggie.

It's no surprise that most of the people I know who are into these things are not druggies. Santa Cruz, you know, the hippie fringe.