Eden

Where to buy stuff around Seattle

I saw this topic as a thread for another city and thought it was a brillitant idea rather than having a new thread every time someone needs some quick help finding something...

like me right now :o I'm looking for a source, mail order OR local, for fresh citrons. Any ideas? I can sub lemons if I have to, but they're really fairly different...

• Like 10

Would that be fresh citron as in yuzu or as in something like bergamot?

Unfortunately, citron is a bit ambiguous as it's used one way by pastry chefs (usually short for glace lemons or citron glace), one way by people trying to translate Korean or Japanese, and another way by Africans, another way by French people... I'm sure there are more.

Yuzu is hard to come by but you'll start to see it at the Seattle location of Uwajimaya at about $25-50/lb, often underripe and tiny, sometime this fall. There is one guy growing yuzu in Washington, from what I hear, with the intention of commercial production.

Decent yuzu juice can currently be found in Uwajimaya's refrigerated section, but availability varies. 200 ml is $11 or so, fairly decent quality.

I'm looking for the fresh (not candied or juiced) citrus fruit Citrus medica As I understand it yuzu is called "Japanese Citron", but is a different variety & does not have the incredibly thick skin of the citron I am familiar with.

Has anyone seen blood oranges around town yet?

Eden,

Central Market Poulsbo has Budda Hand Citron in the Produce Section so I'm sure your market from the same parent chain probably also has it. I saw blood oranges at Pike Market the other week.

Kay

The Soap Box at 45th and University Way has a big selection of Pre de Provence (I had some wonderful lemon verbena lotion and bubble bath purchased there), so they may have the lavendar.

Guest Abra

Yes, PFI carries salt cod in the freezer section, and I think Spanish Table has the dried.

Are there any quinces still around?

The Soap Box at 45th and University Way has a big selection of Pre de Provence (I had some wonderful lemon verbena lotion and bubble bath purchased there), so they may have the lavendar.

Thanks Laurie they did have that there!

Tuesday Morning is carrying a nice selection of large Le Creuset oval and round roasters ranging from 99-259. They even had the super large sizes in the Silverdale store. The only limitation, at least at my local store, is that you need to really like mustard yellow--Dijon, not French's yellow.