Eden

Where to buy stuff around Seattle

Any suggestions on where to buy grits? We checked several stores in Pike Place Market with no luck. (The grillades and polenta were very tasty, though.)

Unfortunately I don't have an answer to the grits query. But Bob's Red Mill brand makes a corn grits-polenta product that might be on the shelves wherever you find his other flours. Or maybe a store can order some for you.

However, I am wondering where in Seattle can I find smoked Turkey Wings?

I've seen smoked turkey wings at the Red Apple in the CD, and on occaision at the U-Village QFC and Central Market. Laurie, did you mean being able to order grits or get grits to make?

Rocky

Check the safeway at 23rd and Madison for all manner of smoked meats. They have great butchers there and they're always happy to answer questions on the phone.

~A

Anyone seen hazelnuts sans skins?? Deskinning them is such a pain!! :unsure:

I get shelled/skinned pistachios at Trader Joe's so maybe they have hazlenuts too...

Nope, they only have shelled, but skin on. the chopped alsostill have a bit of skin, though not enough to bother...

Anyone seen hazelnuts sans skins??  Deskinning them is such a pain!!  :unsure:

They used to have them at Pasta and Co. at U-Village--however, I asked about them once last summer and they said they were seasonal so they only carried them in the winter. They were roasted and had most of the skin rubbed off--enough if you're not a perfectionist--and so much easier than doing them yourself. Maybe give them a call?

Laurie, did you mean being able to order grits or get grits to make?

We wanted to buy grits to prepare at home (Matthew was making a grillades and grits recipe from All About Braising). I'll check the Bob's Red Mill line.

Whole Foods has Albers Quick Grits. They are smaller grain, so they cook 'quicker' but they aren't 'instant' by any means. I like 'em!

Lynnwood Freddies has regular grits in the bulk food section, so if you can find them in LYNNWOOD you can likely find them in any of the Fred's bulk sections. :unsure: I bet you could find 'em in most bulk food sections, actually...Top Foods, Central/Ballard Market, Larry's etc. I have seen them in the Bob's Red Mill section, but bulk is so much cheaper.

I've never seen them anywhere in Seattle, but the Mt. Vernon Grocery Outlet had a good selection of It's It ice cream bars (from San Fran.)

http://www.itsiticecream.com/

I've put in requests at a couple of the Seattle Grocery Outlets, so perhaps they'll take the hint.

I bought each flavor (chocolate, vanilla, and capuccino--sandwiched between oatmeal cookies and dipped in chocolate). YUM.

Megan