Where to buy stuff around Seattle

Where would I find local sunchokes (Jerusalem Artichokes) besides a farmers market? I need them by Friday and the next farmers market isn't until Saturday.

You might call Frank's, if you are willing to try the Market.

The market is easy for me but I called and they don't have any locally grown ones.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw this topic as a thread for another city and thought it was a brillitant idea rather than having a new thread every time someone needs some quick help finding something...   like me right now

We have grits. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. There weren't any in the bulk foods at Rainbow Grocery or Broadway QFC, but Matthew found Albers Quick Grits at QFC. We've been eating them up, a

Pretty sure that's not it, but it's good to know there's a new Persian Grocery Store in that area. I still miss Pars Market - they were wonderful!

Where would I find local sunchokes (Jerusalem Artichokes) besides a farmers market? I need them by Friday and the next farmers market isn't until Saturday.

They are currently at our Central Market along with QFC and Safeway. Saw them this week at all three stores.

Kay

The market is easy for me but I called and they don't have any locally grown ones.

How about Sunset Hill Green Market (are they still open?) They work with Full Circle, but FC isn't listing sunchokes on their site. Maybe already sold out? Charlie's Produce is not showing them as either local or conventional products at this time. That's a sign.

(great place to look to see what's available in general, since they supply so many: http://www.charliesproduce.com/ )

Et tu, Brute? :lol:

I know, I know. But I bought some for Thanksgiving at the farmers market and they were so much better than what I was seeing in the store. I thought I'd give it a try.

Eden, the farmers markets web site shows them as "ripe and ready" this week so I was hoping...

Met Market it is then.

I know, I know. But I bought some for Thanksgiving at the farmers market and they were so much better than what I was seeing in the store. I thought I'd give it a try.

Eden, the farmers markets web site shows them as "ripe and ready" this week so I was hoping...

Met Market it is then.

littlemsfoodie found them for me at Ballard Market. $2.59/pound for local organic versus $5.00/pound at Met Market for ones out of California (I'm not sure if they were organic or conventional). Unfortunately it took me 40 minutes to get there from my office!

littlemsfoodie found them for me at Ballard Market. $2.59/pound for local organic versus $5.00/pound at Met Market for ones out of California (I'm not sure if they were organic or conventional). Unfortunately it took me 40 minutes to get there from my office!

Glad you got them but now I am most interested in what you are doing with them (when you have time) as I have some and will get more tomorrow at our last of the season Farmers' Market in PT. We love them roasted, whipped, pureed etc.

Kay

Glad you got them but now I am most interested in what you are doing with them (when you have time) as I have some and will get more tomorrow at our last of the season Farmers' Market in PT. We love them roasted, whipped, pureed etc.

Kay

Kay - I made sunchoke soup for a dinner party Friday night. I used Thomas Kellers recipe found here and topped it with a bit of truffle oil and truffles that I had brought back from Italy. It turned out really well but peeling all those sunchokes was a chore, especially since I had increased the quantity by 1 1/2 times!

Kay - I made sunchoke soup for a dinner party Friday night. I used Thomas Kellers recipe found here and topped it with a bit of truffle oil and truffles that I had brought back from Italy. It turned out really well but peeling all those sunchokes was a chore, especially since I had increased the quantity by 1 1/2 times!

Sounds good. We like April Bloomfield's Jerusalem Artichoke Smash but that also involves peeling them.

Kay

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone who needs olive oil or balsamic vinegar I highly recommend Drizzle Olive Oil and Vinegar Tasting Room in the Fairhaven neighborhood of Bellingham. They have around 30 olive oils from around the world on tap and about the same number in balsamic vinegars. You can taste each one before buying and with the oils it's really interesting comparing the range between grassy and peppery.

I was there today and bought a 750ml bottle of California Arbequina EVO for $25. In the past I've also bought Champagne Balsamic and Fig Balsamic vinegars, and a couple of sea salts.

Ross Driscoll is the owner and he knows his stuff about olive oil and isn't shy talking about it.

For me Fairhaven is a nice, quaint little area of Bellingham and worth the 90-mile drive north. I've added this place to my 'must visit' list when I get up there.

Drizzle Olive Oil and Vinegar Tasting Room

1208 11th Street Unit B

Bellingham, WA 98225

Does ChefShop still do olive oil tasting at their retail store? I remember visiting a number of years back and it being the first time I really appreciated the variation in olive oil styles and flavor profiles.

I guess I didn't need to take a picture of your business card for Drizzle!

I mentioned ChefShop to Really Nice! when he told me about Drizzle. Last time I was there, which was less than a year ago I think, they still did the tastings.

I need to get to one of the two pronto. I am out of good olive oil for finishing.

I guess I didn't need to take a picture of your business card for Drizzle!

I mentioned ChefShop to Really Nice! when he told me about Drizzle. Last time I was there, which was less than a year ago I think, they still did the tastings.

I need to get to one of the two pronto. I am out of good olive oil for finishing.

The shop Agora up on capitol hill also does tastings & has some very nice oils.

We stopped in at ChefShop last week and they had a few new olive oils out for tasting. Also vinegars, honeys, and salts. But get the shoyu.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like chefshop. Nothing is priced. Everything I look at I have to ask how much, and after the third time I don't feel like asking any more. I'm in and out in five minutes.