Eden

Where to buy stuff around Seattle

We stopped in at ChefShop last week and they had a few new olive oils out for tasting. Also vinegars, honeys, and salts. But get the shoyu.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like chefshop. Nothing is priced. Everything I look at I have to ask how much, and after the third time I don't feel like asking any more. I'm in and out in five minutes.

Yeah, we asked them about that too. 90% of what they sell is on-line and much of that is gifts - so they don't like pricing the individual items. The shelves and displays change often, so they don't tag those either. I wish they handled it differently too (they used to.)

• Like 1

We stopped in at ChefShop last week and they had a few new olive oils out for tasting. Also vinegars, honeys, and salts. But get the shoyu.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like chefshop. Nothing is priced. Everything I look at I have to ask how much, and after the third time I don't feel like asking any more. I'm in and out in five minutes.

Yeah, we asked them about that too. 90% of what they sell is on-line and much of that is gifts - so they don't like pricing the individual items. The shelves and displays change often, so they don't tag those either. I wish they handled it differently too (they used to.)

I'd forgotten about that. That is annoying.

it's getting to be that time of year. If anyone sees Seville Oranges in a store locally could you please give a shout out?

thanks!

it's getting to be that time of year. If anyone sees Seville Oranges in a store locally could you please give a shout out?

thanks!

I saw them at the Madison Market last week.

thanks!

I saw them at the Madison Market last week.

Thanks!

Anyone who needs olive oil or balsamic vinegar I highly recommend Drizzle Olive Oil and Vinegar Tasting Room in the Fairhaven neighborhood of Bellingham. They have around 30 olive oils from around the world on tap and about the same number in balsamic vinegars. You can taste each one before buying and with the oils it's really interesting comparing the range between grassy and peppery.

I was there today and bought a 750ml bottle of California Arbequina EVO for $25. In the past I've also bought Champagne Balsamic and Fig Balsamic vinegars, and a couple of sea salts.

Ross Driscoll is the owner and he knows his stuff about olive oil and isn't shy talking about it.

For me Fairhaven is a nice, quaint little area of Bellingham and worth the 90-mile drive north. I've added this place to my 'must visit' list when I get up there.

Drizzle Olive Oil and Vinegar Tasting Room

1208 11th Street Unit B

Bellingham, WA 98225

There's a new store north of the market that also has oils/vinegars that are presented in the same steel casks as Drizzle up in Bellingham. I can walk to this place. It's in the same building as Cutter's restaurant and across the street from Ettas.

Quintessential Gourmet

Lynn Little, General Manager

2001 Western Ave, Suite 110

206-467-4856

My little Persian grocery store, Pars Market over in Bellevue, is gone. Any reccs for where to go for barberries, good lavash etc now?

My little Persian grocery store, Pars Market over in Bellevue, is gone. Any reccs for where to go for barberries, good lavash etc now?

Pacific Market on Lake City at about 125th has a decent selection of Persian goods. If you call ahead of time, they'll also bring in stuff they wouldn't already have.

Not sure if this deserved its own topic or not, so I thought I'd try it out here: Pickles!

There are a bunch of places making pickles these days Boat Street - yum, various at the farmer's markets, but has anyone had a taste off? Which are the best?

Personally, I like Woodring's Parker's Pickles, but admittedly there are a bunch I haven't tried, like Britt's Fermented. Have you? Do you have a favorite? What should I try?

Not sure if this deserved its own topic or not, so I thought I'd try it out here: Pickles!

There are a bunch of places making pickles these days Boat Street - yum, various at the farmer's markets, but has anyone had a taste off? Which are the best?

Personally, I like Woodring's Parker's Pickles, but admittedly there are a bunch I haven't tried, like Britt's Fermented. Have you? Do you have a favorite? What should I try?

ooh pickle taste off. I would be happy to host one if I ever have a kitchen again...

Well, Jan makes the best pickle's I've ever had. Perhaps we should have a pickle making session when cukes are in season?

My favorite dill pickle needs to be totally crisp with a bit of heat to it. Just a touch. Nothing overt.

At Frank's Oyster House last night, I had a salad with pickled pears on it. They were fantastic! Not mushy, perfect zing.

I have a giant table and am happy to surrogate host a pickle taste off.

I mostly live off the pickles that friends bring to my house and that I get off the sample table at work, so I come in totally not knowing what they'll be.

I will say that woodring makes an excellent kim chi, so my money is on them.

I was speaking to the waiter at Kabul on Saturday and he told me there is a bakery in the Totem Lake/Kirkland area selling not just Afghan style breads, but Persian and eastern European breads as well. Unfortunately he couldn't recall the name, and I'm not having luck with my Google Powers today, so I'm hoping someone here might know the place? I think he said it was near the 116th st exit...