Jaymes

Mexican Cooking Projects

Perhaps since so many folks said they are neophytes, it might be good to start with the REALLY basic. The meaning of 'rajas.'

It comes from the Spanish word 'rajar' which means to split, to tear, to shred. So a raja is a strip, or a torn, or shredded thing. In this case, we're talking about strips of chiles, but you can use it to describe many things...strips of meat, or clothing, for example. Rajas de res o pollo would be strips of beef or chicken, like for fajitas. And you might use the verb 'rajar' to describe what you plan to do to your man's face with your fingernails if he ever messes with that puta again.

The pronounciation is RAH-ha.

And I'm looking forward to the recipe con crema y cebolla (CRAY-mah, say-BOY-ah)....cream and onions...that Cristina mentioned.

Sounds great Jaymes!

Very much a novice though ...never been to Mexico, & very few Mexican restos in my neck of the woods.

One thing I already did know...don't rinse peppers after charring! Am I allowed in?

Soups sound wonderful, Omni, and as I'm sure you know since you travel there frequently, Mexico is justifiably famous for its soups.

But for the second dish, I'd really love to do cochinita pibil, with the traditional sides of pickled red onions, and platanos.

For one thing, I love it and have never made it.

And for another, I know there are folks on MF that have some experience with it.

Soups sound wonderful, Omni, and as I'm sure you know since you travel there frequently, Mexico is justifiably famous for its soups.

But for the second dish, I'd really love to do cochinita pibil, with the traditional sides of pickled red onions, and platanos.

For one thing, I love it and have never made it.

And for another, I know there are folks on MF that have some experience with it.

Cochinita is great and those pickled onions are good on so many things - and real easy to make. They have the advantage of keeping forever.

We could add tinga poblana. Pozole - red, green, and white.

Theabroma

Okay, great! Let's select a date for the first group-cook. Sometime this coming week, perhaps?

Next week sounds great: are we starting with stuffed poblanos or cochinita? Maybe both?

Should we have a poll? :lol:

I'm confused. What happened to the rajas? Although stuffed poblano sounds good to me.

Only day I can do it this coming week is Monday, unfortunately. But don't worry about me, it will happen to lots of us and we'll join in when we can.

Will we make an ingredients list and then actually all cook at the same time? What abotu the time differences?

Am I being a little too anal?

Should we have a team leader each time, as it were? And I guess there will be some things (like stocks for example) that we need to do ahead of time...

Let's not get too formal, although we'll need a shopping list. We'll cook when we can, please.