Jaymes

Mexican Cooking Projects

Am I correct in thinking that the recipe per se is not copyrightable, but that the description is? I.e., that the recipe can be reproduced provided the wording is changed.

That's how it works. Changing the wording without changing the list of ingredients is allowable. The most legally anal (I think the stick helps) tribe on the planet determined that one for me, and allowed someone to e-mail me a recipe for re-writing and posting at the food site in question.

And hey, Abra, welcome. Nice to see you here.

If there is already a published version on a web site somewhere else, a link is probably the easiest and safest thing to do...

Yes, but sometimes the link no longer works...like a link to a recipe published in a newspaper or something. A few weeks, or months, go by and zap....it's gone.

If there is already a published version on a web site somewhere else, a link is probably the easiest and safest thing to do...

Yes, but sometimes the link no longer works...like a link to a recipe published in a newspaper or something. A few weeks, or months, go by and zap....it's gone.

Links shortened through http://tinyurl.com never expire, it's claimed.

Tana posted about this site, and I use it at least once a day.

Links shortened through http://tinyurl.com never expire, it's claimed.

Tana posted about this site, and I use it at least once a day.

While I love TinyURL, the links that don't expire are the TinyURL links. If they are linking to an online source that is updated, alas TinyURL has no control over that.

I think that's how it works, anyway.

And on topic, I have just charred the skins of four local, organic poblano peppers and does the house ever smell good! They're cooling under a glass plate in a wooden bowl now.

Thanks Abra and Jaymes for the recipes.

I had to go out of town this week, and didn't get to make rajas yet. I am planning to make rajas tomorrow!

I'm looking forward to the soup, too, after the Cochinita Pibil. Omni, do you have a soup in mind? (not to get ahead of ourselves too much, but...) :(

I want to add my 2 centavos worth about this thread: it makes me extremely happy to see that this thread exists, that we are all having such a good time cooking and posting about what we cook, and that there are so many of us doing it.

Jaymes, your recipe for cochinita pibil sounds delicious. I'm trying to figure out how to make time to prepare it this week. On Wednesday afternoon I'm going to a comida and could take a batch of it to share, although it's not a bring-a-dish sort of party. I might do it anyway. Achiote paste is readily available here, and I can go out in the yard and cut a banana leaf or two if I choose to go that direction. Am I correct in assuming that the banana leaves take the place of the aluminum foil in what you posted?

Anyway, thanks again to everybody for such an enjoyable treat of a thread.

Cristina

Having a helper who is a better cook than you are is always a good thing. Mazal charred the peppers, peeld them and wiped them down, leaving me with a beautiful ingredient ready to go.

I made some creme fraiche from scratch with leftover buttermilk. For the hell of it, I tried some with sourdough starter as well. They both made nice cream, but the sourdough was too strong and tasted of raw sourdough. Nothing ventured.

As directed, I cooked the onions to translucent, even just a little caramelized. With the peppers and cream, this was a very rich and delicious dish. Leftovers will go into tortillas with shredded beef tomorrow.

Well folks, it's Sunday. I think our first week has been a resounding success!

How 'bout y'all? :(

Well folks, it's Sunday. I think our first week has been a resounding success!

How 'bout y'all? :(

Big thumbs up here, Jaymes. I am very excited about this series of projects, and the spirit that it's brought to this forum. I've been telling some friends about it (people who don't do food boards), even, and they all think it sounds cool, too.

just went to eG in ISO variations on Jinmyo's poblano slaw and found this small masterpiece of hers so applicable to this thread:

"Pueblo Polenta". (I just call it this to distinguish it from the other styles of polenta I do.) Very soft polenta made from white and yellow corn meal with roasted whole and mashed corn kernels, sauteed poblano and jalapeno chiles, diced white onion, and red and green bell peppers seasoned with toasted cumin and mustard seeds, garnished with fresh coriander (cilantro). Served with a swirl of chipotle paste round.
:(

Isn't it awful when work interrupts cooking, a joy of life?

this is my new signature, if you don't mind cristina :(

I have a fantastic recipe for a side dish of flor de calabaza that I would happily post. I don't know about current availability of squash flowers in everyone's area, though.

Let's see...I like the idea of chilaquiles. I'll post a link to the January article in my magazine about that, if we decide to do those.

Enchiladas...I have a recipe for enchiladas de pollo that will make you want to holler AMEN.

Picadillo, ditto. It's a two-amen recipe.

Now I'm in the mood to cook--and in the mood to eat. But I still have to work, dammit. I am not going to be able to make the cochinita today but I'll get to it soon.

<reluctantly takes chicken breast out of freezer for comida>

I have a fantastic recipe for a side dish of flor de calabaza that I would happily post. I don't know about current availability of squash flowers in everyone's area, though.

Picadillo, ditto. It's a two-amen recipe.

I can positively guarantee I cannot get squash flowers here.

And picadillo -- Cristina -- I was trying to describe the dishes, but couldn't think of how to describe picadillo. What would you say?