A question for the Boulder subgroup: I was wondering if anyone here has gone to Aji, in the "old" Lucca Lucca space, yet? I've looked at the menu outside and it seems like it could be good.

Or, barring that, does anyone know their hours? When I looked at the menu that weekend, they apparently were in "only wanderers" mode as there was *NO* indication of their hours. Anywhere, door, menu... I'm suspecting only dinner, as the menu seemed to priced to that.

Is this normal practice during a soft opening--if they are doing that--or are signpainters so in demand that it takes a few weeks to get one in?

HAH! I was just going to see if anyone had gone yet. I have the ToGo menu right in front of me, and it looks interesting. The website has the hours:

Lunch 11-5, dinner 5-10, happy hour specials 3-6.

The website does not yet have the menu up, but I hope it's good, because it appears to be things that nobody else in town is doing, including the Media Noche- I'm always on the hunt for a decent Cuban Sandwich.

Also of interest: Cactusa la Parilla con Camarones: Shrimp, Cactus and red romaine salad with lime garlic vinaigrette. ($10, or with an entree, $6).

On the Dinner Menu: Pollito Peruano: Negro Modelo marinated game hen, purple potatoes, grilled corn, sweet chipotle glaze- $14.

Also, braised rabbit, duck breast with mole, carne asada with chimmichurri, some nice looking fish dishes: peanut and plantain encrusted yellowfin tuna, mussels, picadillo stuffed poblano.

So, when are we going???? :o

HAH! I was just going to see if anyone had gone yet. I have the ToGo menu right in front of me, and it looks interesting. The website has the hours:

The website does not yet have the menu up, but I hope it's good, because it appears to be things that nobody else in town is doing, including the Media Noche- I'm always on the hunt for a decent Cuban Sandwich.

Also of interest: Cactusa la Parilla con Camarones: Shrimp, Cactus and red romaine salad with lime garlic vinaigrette. ($10, or with an entree, $6).

On the Dinner Menu: Pollito Peruano: Negro Modelo marinated game hen, purple potatoes, grilled corn, sweet chipotle glaze- $14.

Also, braised rabbit, duck breast with mole, carne asada with chimmichurri, some nice looking fish dishes: peanut and plantain encrusted yellowfin tuna, mussels, picadillo stuffed poblano.

yum! sounds good. someone scout it out for me and let me know if it meets my exacting standards.

HAH!  I was just going to see if anyone had gone yet.  I have the ToGo menu right in front of me, and it looks interesting.  The website  has the hours:

Please tell me they aren't doing that Mateo dinner-menu-at-lunch thing. I'll have to go by there this weekend and see if they have a lunch menu up.

Also of interest:  Cactusa la Parilla con Camarones:  Shrimp, Cactus and red romaine salad with lime garlic vinaigrette.  ($10, or with an entree, $6).

Cactusa? Um...as near as I can remember cactus is cacto, cactus, or, in the case of the prickly pear, nopal. ¿Cómo se dice cactusa en inglés? ETA: Huh...looks like I forgot Poland. Apparently, "cactusa" means something in Polish because it turns up in a lot of pl USENET groups.

Well, I might go this weekend...if Thud! doesn't suck my weekend away.

Please tell me they aren't doing that Mateo dinner-menu-at-lunch thing.  I'll have to go by there this weekend and see if they have a lunch menu up.

No, the lunch menu has different selections than the dinner... It's a pretty big menu, I just entered a couple of things that looked interesting to me.

okay, so i decided not to wait for the scouting party. was on my way back from campus, went via the walnut post-office, turned onto pearl and there it was; and so i stopped on a whim. got the chorizo sandwich (it has some fancy name) as recommended by waitress. it was quite good and for $7 with lots of nicely done fries and assorted pickles a very good deal. i would go back--despite the bad yucca yucca (ha ha!) mojo.

to herd alpaca in the high rockies?

if this refers to what i think it does, then yes, i will soon be "herding some alpacas", but hopefully they won't be "high rockies".

matt, the lunch menu didn't have anything cactusa on it; i think it just said "cactus" for that salad. perhaps a misprint on the to-go menu? or perhaps cheesemonger is high? (i've seen what she gets up to in that store of hers.)

got the chorizo sandwich (it has some fancy name) as recommended by waitress. it was quite good and for $7 with lots of nicely done fries and assorted pickles a very good deal. i would go back--despite the bad yucca yucca (ha ha!) mojo.

Was it the Mexican chorizo or the Portuguese choriço? I ask because I love choriço but I despise chorizo (at least the varieties in Colorado I've had).

ETA:

matt, the lunch menu didn't have anything cactusa on it; i think it just said "cactus" for that salad. perhaps a misprint on the to-go menu? or perhaps cheesemonger is high? (i've seen what she gets up to in that store of hers.)
I'm guessing typo, but just because Google didn't find it, I didn't want to dismiss it. There's always a chance it's a foodstuff from South America where my little amount of Mexican Spanish isn't usually good.
got the chorizo sandwich (it has some fancy name) as recommended by waitress. it was quite good and for $7 with lots of nicely done fries and assorted pickles a very good deal. i would go back--despite the bad yucca yucca (ha ha!) mojo.

Was it the Mexican chorizo or the Portuguese choriço?

i did not ask for passport. but it does claim to be a latin-american restaurant.

i see the source of confusion: the to-go menu has spacing issues between words. it should be "cactus a la parilla con camarones". i have no idea if that makes grammatical sense but i think that's how it was on the regular lunch menu. cheesemonger may still be high, of course.

and as per the to-go menu it is chorizo not chorico. and the sandwich is called "choripan". it is a good thing she told me it was a sandwich since there's nothing on the menu to suggest it is to a dimwit like me.

• 1 month later...

I stopped by around the end of September to sample Aji's fare. Their wines are primarily Chilean and Argentinian (with a sprinkling of Espana thrown in for good measure) so I settled for a Mojito. The food reminds me of plates at Tamayo & Zengo, although not as good. I tried the Arepas Con Langosta y Nata to start (round, hard corn discs served with lobster chunks and "homemade" whipped butter that looked like Cool Whip). A little boring. I preferred the Enchiladas San Cristobal (pork rib, chilis, onions, cheese, chili cream), although they weren't like any enchiladas I've ever ordered before. They were in a puff pastry-like casing that was a little harder and chewier. They were also quite large--more like a burrito (I barely finished one of the two). I'd be willing to give Aji a shot again, especially for something slightly less ambitious like one of their sandwiches.

Stopped in to Aji on Saturday when the rest of the Boulder world was at the CU game. We started with the yellow fin tuna ceviches in a mild coconut milk broth. Very tasty and served with some chips and a little green salad. Next, my daughter had the crab croquettes and I had their version of a cuban sandwich. The croquettes were OK, nothing too exciting. The cuban sandwich was disappointing -- pressed turkey breast, sliced ham, mayonnaise, pickles and, I am not kidding, French's yellow mustard! It is a distinctive taste, so I am positive on this element and coud not get past it.

The dinner menu items sound more interesting, but I think I would stick with Rhumba for a Pearl Street Latin experience or go to Zolo Grill

• 5 months later...

I popped into Aji on Sunday with my niece for a cocktail and to visit, as she was only here for a short while, and staying with some of her crazy friends- Sunday was the only mutually workable day.

We opted for a Mango Mojito, which I asked to please have about half the sugar that they usually use. Their sugar is a mango simple syrup, and half worked out fine. The rum is also mango infused, so we got the flavor.

But here's where we messed up: We looked at the ceviche menu, and asked the bartender about the "Ceviche Mixto", which was only described on the menu as having coconut milk in it.... I had recalled having a coconut milk ceviche there before that I really liked a few months ago, and so I wanted to know what things were "mixto'ed" up together. "Whitefish, Shrimp, some octopus"... well, okay then.

It came to the table- it was almost entirely smoked mussels, and overpowered every other thing in the dish (as well as the immediate area from the smell). Now, not being a fan of smoked mussels, I had one shrimp, and decided that I just couldn't do it. The niece likes mussels, but after 2 or 3, was done as well.

The good thing is that the bartender took it off the bill, since surely if he had listed the mussels as an ingredient, we would have ordered something else, and he offered to bring us another dish, but I was kind of "off" the whole ceviche thing by then.

Then we went to Zolo and had a Marg... just to get the taste of the mussels out. Yeah, that's it. :lol: