Paris Bistros, Restos

I assume you are talking 700 euros at L'Ambroisie for two. Given that L'Ambroisie serves the same menu at lunch (or used to) as it does at dinner, that's not at all surprising. Especially if you drank as described, and also had truffled items. ;) You should be happy you weren't charged more.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I think Orik said, "it is that time again."   I will be in Paris for a few days in the beginning of December, any recommendations? New ones, old standbys? Places to avoid?   I have a bunch o

I suspect Bruni or Paglia wrote that review.

Had lunch here last week and it was so good I've booked dinner for next month!.   Added bonus of being right by the metro on the 8 line.

I assume you are talking 700 euros at L'Ambroisie for two.  Given that L'Ambroisie serves the same menu at lunch (or used to) as it does at dinner, that's not at all surprising. Especially if you drank as described, and also had truffled items.  ;) You should be happy you weren't charged more.

I'd be happy to pay more if the meal had been more to our pleasing. Truffles did not make the food sparkle, just taste good.

Naturally I have dined on Roellinger's cuisine (three meals; single visit). I disliked his cuisine; his use of spicing is not at all subtle. It's arguably abrasive (at least to my tastebuds, which admittedly, prize subtlety more than most). I was not particularly impressed, and doubt I would return. I can see why he has had problems getting his third star, although I don't doubt he may do so one of these days.

Arguably, indeed. I am certainly willing to argue with you on that point. Roellinger has been absolutely underrated in my opinion. Funny enough, if you asked Pierre Gagnaire whom he thought deserved a third star but hadn't got one, he would tell you it's Roellinger.

I'm glad Jaybee went and had a great meal. I would go back there again in a heartbeat, for the surroundings, and the room, AND the cuisine.

The two best meals in my recent trip were Gagnaire and Le Bristol (lunch).

I had a very fun bistro meal at Josephine (Chez Dummonet) on Cherche Midi near Montparnasse. The reason to go is the deep and affordable list of Bordeaux in the cellar. I had 55 Ausone, which must have been in their cellar for ages. It was terrific, and about the price of dinner for 2 at a 3*. But you don't get to have this kind of wine at this kind of price hardly ever. It would sell for 2-3 times that price if it could be sourced at auction.

The food is straightforward bistro cuisine, and most Parisiens were ordering steak, big porterhouses.

The staff and chef took really good care of us, having ordered one of their better bottles. Free sides, 3 rounds of free after dinner drinks.

his use of spicing is not at all subtle.  It's arguably abrasive (at least to my tastebuds, which admittedly, prize subtlety more than most).

I think this is why you and I rarely like the same foods.

I'm not exactly sure how you were able to do this, but I believe that you have attributed Cabrales' quote to Pim. We should straighten the record, since these two (Cabrales and Pim) have expressed opposite opinions regarding Roellinger's cuisine. Non?

I don't know how I did it either, but it was Cabby's quotation. But I bet everybody who reads this understands what I meant. It's only a couple of posts up.

I am relieved to read this, I am. I actually lost time wondering if you and Pim were somehow at cross purposes on the deliciousness of the meal in Paris. No, I'm not kidding. Yes, I am serious.

I don't know how I did it either, but it was Cabby's quotation.  But I bet everybody who reads this understands what I meant.  It's only a couple of posts up.

I am relieved to read this, I am. I actually lost time wondering if you and Pim were somehow at cross purposes on the deliciousness of the meal in Paris. No, I'm not kidding. Yes, I am serious.

The meal in question (at least regarding Cabrales' statement) was in Cancale, not in Paris.

Another good find this trip is a mini bistro just off of Blvd.Raspail in the 6th called Le Timbre. The 3 course menu is around 25-30 euro. It's actually run by a very nice Englishman. A Frech chef with an ultra fancy pedigree recommended this place to me, adding a huge vote of confidence by commenting that the cuisine there is very 'correcte'. Telling a French chef his cuisine is 'correcte' is like telling a burgundian vignerons his wine is racé. A huge compliment indeed.

I had lunch there today and was not disappointed. Especially since I've been eating my way around French bistros who were trying perhaps just a bit too hard to be innovative, and ended up adding exotic touches like crushed up Nori and popcorn on their plates. It was so good to see something really simple, not a trace of tofu to be found. Aucune.

The food is delicious, the wine is slightly lacking, offering only a few choices each of white and red. I had a beaujolais nouveau, well, you know, today is the day so I had to. The wine, well, tasted like beaujolais nouveau, that is to say not very much of anything -or perhaps I should be thankful this one didn't smell like a banana. Heh.