Paris Bistros, Restos

For the record, can I assume you chose Botanique's street level restaurant and not the upstairs dining room?

Correct ; but I think only the ground floor was in use that evening , at least no one seemed to be going upstairs.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I think Orik said, "it is that time again."   I will be in Paris for a few days in the beginning of December, any recommendations? New ones, old standbys? Places to avoid?   I have a bunch o

I suspect Bruni or Paglia wrote that review.

Had lunch here last week and it was so good I've booked dinner for next month!.   Added bonus of being right by the metro on the 8 line.

• 1 month later...

Those floor tiles...

We visited AMARANTE  last night and I hate to admit it to you bur I kinda liked those floor tiles.    They're a lot better looking (depending on the beholder) than this photo suggests.   They're just very "French".

But the food... Husband ordered foie gras which he said was excellent.   I ordered fraise de veau which came in a sauce poulette with levain toast, a scattering of black olives and herby side salad.    This was downright FABULOUS!     Tender little ribbons in a killer sauce.    A truly memorable dish.

On to rare and succulent Iberico pork and tender  "traditional" veal roast.    Meat servings were beyond huge.   We each left at least half which was a shame because quality and preparation were tops. 

As I wrote previously, the starters are, for me, the real draw here: iinsightful treatment of offal.   As well, I noticed a lovely plate of giant white asparagus, and a celeriac soup sounded fine.   I will return at some point and make a meal of starters.   Me, I'd go for the tongue or pig's feet and, of course, another dose of fraises.      This stuff is hard to find done this well.  

A hearty carnivore recommendation.      This, one shared dessert, 1 coffee and a bottle of wine -> €120.    Shamefully inexpensive for quality and quantity.   

(FWYW, cote de boeuf for 2 = €90)

We especially liked a meal at Au Passage. We enjoyed dinner at Aux Bons Crus, after a cocktail (or two) at Le Mary Celeste, which we've visited a number of times on previous trips. Clown Bar and Affinité's tasting made us mostly happy. We lunched one day at one of the places (Lebanese?) in Marché des Enfants Rouge, though it can be a bit hectic in there, and I'd avoid on weekends for sure.

And how could I forget - a great meal at Chez La Vieille (a real blanquette de veau, rabbit kidneys, tete de veau, great huge oysters, etc. etc.), where we may have been known to the house, as the number of comps sent out meant we could barely put a dent in our plats. I'm pretty sure there was a course containing fraise de veau at a meal somewhere, somehow.

ETA: Seems I also forgot (it's early) KGB - the 2nd (3rd?) restaurant from chef at Ze Kitchen Gallerie.  Tasting menu of some 8 (or so) dishes, very nicely done.

Guest Ptipois

Amarante is a blessing. Much of the carte is not-to-miss, and the lunch "menu des travailleurs" is a bargain.

Highlights: eel fried in butter (he buys eels when they are large enough), the slow-roasted Pyrénées lamb. Since the place opened, I haven't been able to order any other appetizer than the brains fried in butter.
And the best chocolate mousse in Paris.

For those who miss Romain Tischenko's cooking at his original restaurant, Le Galopin, and have not found consuming a meal standing at his next door bar, Cave a Michel, note that AT THIS TIME he is cooking at the restaurant several days a week.    Check when booking to see what days.    So good to see him back at his old stove. 

One concept at Amarante would be to just order and split starters, a real cholesterol binge, or else to dine here frequently. Besides the frais, consider brains sauteed in butter, tongue with house mayo, crunchy boned pigs' feet, crusty boudin. White asparagus if you need to feel healthy.

I would add that the waiter here is from my dreams. Lean, suave, drole, totally endearing. And Christophe is adorable. Sweet, shy, so wanting to please.

Those floor tiles...

We visited AMARANTE  last night and I hate to admit it to you bur I kinda liked those floor tiles.    They're a lot better looking (depending on the beholder) than this photo suggests.   They're just very "French".

But the food... Husband ordered foie gras which he said was excellent.   I ordered fraise de veau which came in a sauce poulette with levain toast, a scattering of black olives and herby side salad.    This was downright FABULOUS!     Tender little ribbons in a killer sauce.    A truly memorable dish.

On to rare and succulent Iberico pork and tender  "traditional" veal roast.    Meat servings were beyond huge.   We each left at least half which was a shame because quality and preparation were tops. 

As I wrote previously, the starters are, for me, the real draw here: iinsightful treatment of offal.   As well, I noticed a lovely plate of giant white asparagus, and a celeriac soup sounded fine.   I will return at some point and make a meal of starters.   Me, I'd go for the tongue or pig's feet and, of course, another dose of fraises.      This stuff is hard to find done this well.  

A hearty carnivore recommendation.      This, one shared dessert, 1 coffee and a bottle of wine -> €120.    Shamefully inexpensive for quality and quantity.   

(FWYW, cote de boeuf for 2 = €90)

I have never had fraise de veau. I have to do something about that.

We’re lunching there next Friday. I might just beat you to it.

One concept at Amarante would be to just order and split starters, a real cholesterol binge, or else to dine here frequently. Besides the frais, consider brains sauteed in butter, tongue with house mayo, crunchy boned pigs' feet, crusty boudin. White asparagus if you need to feel healthy.I would add that the waiter here is from my dreams. Lean, suave, drole, totally endearing. And Christophe is adorable. Sweet, shy, so wanting to please.

The floor tiles would be fine if the rest of the place was re-done to not completely clash with them. Or vice versa. The waiter, while being very nice...

At any rate, looks like I beat Sneak to trying Fraise de Veau. And, in my opinion, its not to be missed. Lunch today for 3 of us included one bottle of natural red wine that de-frizzed in a decanter and actually had some depth and character. Five apps, 2 mains, a bottle of water (that I joked to the waiter had less fizz than the wine), 3 choc. mousses & coffees. All really good, with some being off the charts great. The veal tongue was a plate of tasty slices, some frizzee and a mustardy dollop. Nothing new in the taste department but well executed. The escargots were fine. The boudin was not in casing, but a large rectangle with a fried crispy top. Wow. Lots of flavor and... well, wow. The Fraise de Veau was the best (& buttery-est) plate of innards I’ve ever had. Tender, tasty pieces, and lots of them. More wow. And the Cervelle de Veau (brains) were less like scrambled eggs and more like a fluffy omlette in texture, while being better than any I’ve previously had. As for the mains: I had one good taste of our co-diner’s dish (cant remember which meat it was) and thought it good, but the duck was great. Crispy skin over medium rare tasty breast meat. We each had a choc. mousse and, although I’m not a chocoholic, I thought it was clearly a class version. Total of 173euros was absurdly low for this, even as lunch.

Enjoy tripe and the taste of Fraise de Veau is fine, but the consistency ruins it for me.

Red wine that fizzles out in the decanter - now that sounds delicious. :cool:

Remind me to get some at the next purging session.