Paris Bistros, Restos

You mean the harissa or another sauce?

The sauce they put on the table in a (too) little container that I consume all of and annoy the hostile waiters by smiling and asking for more.    I would classify it as near east salsa; it's not harissa as I know it.

They're not hostile, just Israeli, right @Orik? Or is there a difference?  ;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I think Orik said, "it is that time again."   I will be in Paris for a few days in the beginning of December, any recommendations? New ones, old standbys? Places to avoid?   I have a bunch o

I suspect Bruni or Paglia wrote that review.

Had lunch here last week and it was so good I've booked dinner for next month!.   Added bonus of being right by the metro on the 8 line.

Hostile is just hostile.  Israeli is hostile, arrogant, and obnoxious.

In that case they're definitely Israeli, but they're also distracted and disinterested, so maybe they've really taken on the French service culture.

Well, Le Bat is now long gone but Yariv seems to have opened an Israeli type sandwich place called Salatim a couple of years ago that is garnering good reviews. We havent made it there yet (and may not) but, if we do, we’ll report back.

You didn't miss much 

I went on a Sunday about 2 years ago ... Sunday was an imposed brunch ... it's fine I guess if that's what you want to eat ...

qcvztbP.jpg

r2NXhjM.jpg

LidtESX.jpg

Well, Le Bat is now long gone but Yariv seems to have opened an Israeli type sandwich place called Salatim a couple of years ago that is garnering good reviews. We havent made it there yet (and may not) but, if we do, we’ll report back.

You didn't miss much 

I went on a Sunday about 2 years ago ... Sunday was an imposed brunch ... it's fine I guess if that's what you want to eat ...

qcvztbP.jpg

r2NXhjM.jpg

LidtESX.jpg

Yeah, we didn't wind up going.  The menu just didn't fit any meal we wanted to eat.  Too bad -- we remember him as a really good chef/good guy, who we would've liked to see have another, more interesting place.

And, although I kept telling Ginny that I wanted to get a falafel sometime during the month, we didn't wind up doing that either.  Nothing to do with the line "organizer", who I did stand around and watch for awhile one afternoon.

Obviously, I like less than endearing personalities -- I mean, I've been on this board for a long time, haven't I?  I'm even planning to go out with Mongo when he's around.  :unsure:

Not to mention that L'as du Fallafel and its friends on Rue des Rosiers serve some of the cheapest most available Sunday food and lunch outside of 12-230 in Paris. 

That's not much of a standard ("some of the cheapest ..."), is it ? And it's hard to argue with, so I'll note that McDonalds would rank high on that list too ... with a shorter line (hence more available) ... and real Parisians in it.

Re tourists, tis hard for me to imagine more than 5% Parisians in that god awful Sunday line ... and I'm talking about Parisians who do NOT have tourists / non-Parisians in tow. I have not stood in that line in at least 15 years. On the rare occasion that I want something like that there (Chambo's karma is more shawarma than felafel), I'll walk right past the 50 people in line at L'As and get something just as good at Chez Hanna

In this type of fast food / semi-street food genre, the souvlakis at Filakia are better quality, similar price ... but they are closed Sunday, yet nonstop Saturday.

If the requirement is the Marais on Sunday* AND if it must also be open past 2.30pm, Chambo says curry japonais chez Pontochoux

Some friends are very partial to the porc pané ... and they get it delivered for lunch to their office via Deliveroo ever since Foodora went down the tubes in Paris. Chambo notes that the poulet frit shouldn't be outright dismissed.

Hence the obvious answer is the curry mix, specifying your 2 preferences of porc et poulet.

There's always a good amount of the tasty mud brown curry sauce, but they skimp on the veggies so be sure to sweet talk them into giving you a bit extra ...

Osk1w7x.jpg

* Pour moi, the Marais has close to ZERO interest on Sundays because all the galleries are closed and the place is horribly over-invaded with tourists, probably worse than SoHo ... NYC bien sûr

Not to mention that L'as du Fallafel and its friends on Rue des Rosiers serve some of the cheapest most available Sunday food and lunch outside of 12-230 in Paris. 

That's not much of a standard ("some of the cheapest ..."), is it ? And it's hard to argue with, so I'll note that McDonalds would rank high on that list too ... with a shorter line (hence more available) ... and real Parisians in it.

Re tourists, tis hard for me to imagine more than 5% Parisians in that god awful Sunday line ... and I'm talking about Parisians who do NOT have tourists / non-Parisians in tow. I have not stood in that line in at least 15 years. On the rare occasion that I want something like that there (Chambo's karma is more shawarma than felafel), I'll walk right past the 50 people in line at L'As and get something just as good at Chez Hanna

In this type of fast food / semi-street food genre, the souvlakis at Filakia are better quality, similar price ... but they are closed Sunday, yet nonstop Saturday.

If the requirement is the Marais on Sunday* AND if it must also be open past 2.30pm, Chambo says curry japonais chez Pontochoux

Some friends are very partial to the porc pané ... and they get it delivered for lunch to their office via Deliveroo ever since Foodora went down the tubes in Paris. Chambo notes that the poulet frit shouldn't be outright dismissed.

Hence the obvious answer is the curry mix, specifying your 2 preferences of porc et poulet.

There's always a good amount of the tasty mud brown curry sauce, but they skimp on the veggies so be sure to sweet talk them into giving you a bit extra ...

Osk1w7x.jpg

* Pour moi, the Marais has close to ZERO interest on Sundays because all the galleries are closed and the place is horribly over-invaded with tourists, probably worse than SoHo ... NYC bien sûr

Who do you think I'm standing in that line with if not my American friends who want to jam in a 230 pm lunch because they got up too late to get the Picasso Museum or that exhibit at D'Orsay and now they're starving and I only have 30-45 min before my next meeting because I'm American and don't get a lunch break of any sort ever.  Having recently compared L'as du fallafel and Chez Hanna I think the later is substantially worse food, especially sauces, though I appreciate the cider bc even walking to Rue des Rosiers causes a bit of anxiety.  Souvlaki is an entirely different category and finding places that are open and available on Saturdays in Paris isn't challenging at all...its Sundays and non lunchtime lunches / quick meals that are hard.  I've passed Pontochoux a million times and never tried it so I will add it to the list. Falafel was useful recently with a friend whose boyfriend is vegan (how is that not a dealbreaker?) and friends from Geneva with three children, a train to catch in 55 min from Gare de Lyon, and a preference for food that is not "weird."  Maybe the difference is that most of my visitors are Jewish.

There are plenty of reasonable lunches available in the neighborhood if I have time and don't feel like cooking, from Mokonuts to Soon Grille to Clown Bar to Chez Ami Louis if someone else is paying and even Traiteur Morrocain or Les Enfants du Marche which manages to take just as long and be at least as expensive as a real restaurant without providing more than an outdoor countertop and typical bad French service (making it therefore one of the most popular places on earth).  Hell, if I really felt up to it I could just go have lunch at L'Ambroisie (though they close at 1:45 right in the middle of lunch) or Bruno Verjus' Table, where I could hang with the adorable chef himself, but all of those would take a lot longer than a falafel, ya know?

You don't have to go to the Marais ever if you don't want and are welcome to never even enter the vicinity but given that I live here, its most convenient for me to find food proximate to my apartment.  And obviously I make my lunch every day anyway because who wouldn't with these beautiful groceries available. 

I'm talking art galleries ... Perrotin (both locations), Karsten Greve, Thaddaeus Ropac etc etc etc 

None are open Sunday ... none of the serious Paris art galleries are open anywhere in the city on Sunday. 

And the simple reality is that in Paris, and France for that matter, the rule is that lunch is from noon to 2pm ... if you are lucky ... Saturne won’t take a 2pm ressie ... plenty of places say 1.30pm or 1.45pm is as late as you can arrive, even when their stated hours are 12-2. Yes, a few actually stay open to 2.30pm and a couple to almost 3pm (Le Petit Keller which is a very nice simple but good LUNCH place, not dinner ... order a main (3 options - meat or fish or veggie) and a glass of wine and all is well ... but closed Sunday)

You either adapt to that reality or you eat felafels or noodles and such. 

There are a few exceptions, but they are exceptions ... Breizh Cafés, Avant Comptoirs, Miznons (2nd location by Canal St Martin and I prefer it at this point), Candelaria (to plop down at the counter for some kinda okay tacos ... kinda okay because everything else is closed!) etc.

Dinner-wise (or even Sunday lunch if you stay within the rules) Mr. T is actually a reasonable option, keeping in mind its restrained ambitions. C.A.M. for dinner Sunday, assuming summer schedule isn't different.

Sunday brunch, but not in summer IMHO because it's too heavy, Le Repaire de Cartouche does their buffet with oysters, whelks, pates, hams, etc etc etc following by their chicken dish ... but it's 39 euros so you need to want to have a more full lunch.

A brand new KB Cafe opened nearby ... they are roasting in their very own location ... yes they left The Beans on Fire.

Near The Beans on Fire, Brutos is open Sunday but you need to stay within the rules. Cafe du Coin, Clamato, Septime Bar, 

It's summer, hang out outside with a brewski at Fauve Craft Bière, Brussel Beer Project, even Mikkeller opened in Paris (only PM hours)