Paris Bistros, Restos

I'm talking art galleries ... Perrotin (both locations), Karsten Greve, Thaddaeus Ropac etc etc etc 

None are open Sunday ... none of the serious Paris art galleries are open anywhere in the city on Sunday. 

And the simple reality is that in Paris, and France for that matter, the rule is that lunch is from noon to 2pm ... if you are lucky ... Saturne won’t take a 2pm ressie ... plenty of places say 1.30pm or 1.45pm is as late as you can arrive, even when their stated hours are 12-2. Yes, a few actually stay open to 2.30pm and a couple to almost 3pm (Le Petit Keller which is a very nice simple but good LUNCH place, not dinner ... order a main (3 options - meat or fish or veggie) and a glass of wine and all is well ... but closed Sunday)

You either adapt to that reality or you eat felafels or noodles and such. 

There are a few exceptions, but they are exceptions ... Breizh Cafés, Avant Comptoirs, Miznons (2nd location by Canal St Martin and I prefer it at this point), Candelaria (to plop down at the counter for some kinda okay tacos ... kinda okay because everything else is closed!) etc.

Dinner-wise (or even Sunday lunch if you stay within the rules) Mr. T is actually a reasonable option, keeping in mind its restrained ambitions. C.A.M. for dinner Sunday, assuming summer schedule isn't different.

Sunday brunch, but not in summer IMHO because it's too heavy, Le Repaire de Cartouche does their buffet with oysters, whelks, pates, hams, etc etc etc following by their chicken dish ... but it's 39 euros so you need to want to have a more full lunch.

A brand new KB Cafe opened nearby ... they are roasting in their very own location ... yes they left The Beans on Fire.

Near The Beans on Fire, Brutos is open Sunday but you need to stay within the rules. Cafe du Coin, Clamato, Septime Bar, 

It's summer, hang out outside with a brewski at Fauve Craft Bière, Brussel Beer Project, even Mikkeller opened in Paris (only PM hours)

I don't really need this help, as I mentioned I live here and I am aware of the lunch hour, the Sunday closures, and the basics of feeding myself (I seem to be doing ok at it!).  I am simply explaining why I find a rather basic falafel place with some good sauces useful and distinctly superior to eating at McDonalds with American friends outside of normal hours and/or in big groups or with picky palates.  I'm pretty sure this is why I absolutely never post on here, which I'll probably resume now for another 5 years or so.  Fwiw, I had an absolutely vile meal at Mr. T and could not be convinced to return there under any circumstances.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I think Orik said, "it is that time again."   I will be in Paris for a few days in the beginning of December, any recommendations? New ones, old standbys? Places to avoid?   I have a bunch o

I suspect Bruni or Paglia wrote that review.

Had lunch here last week and it was so good I've booked dinner for next month!.   Added bonus of being right by the metro on the 8 line.

Also, fwiw, the galleries in the Marais are open on Sundays.

You mean like in Brooklyn?

Apparently the galleries in the Marais that I'm speaking to are not haute enough for Chambolle who is looking for serious art and not interested in strolling the Place des Vosges or whatever.  Every fewer body in the neighborhood on weekends counts, so I'll take it.

Since you don’t need help because you live here, I’m happy to halt responding to you hereafter …

but I’ll note for the MF masses that, as always, just because Chambo’s post is in direct response to yours and is indeed totally on point that does NOT mean that its intended audience is just you … in fact, its intended audience is much broader than that … and hence probably helpful

Re “haute enough” for Chambo, I’m sorry but that dog don’t hunt …

If folks feel that there isn’t a MAJOR difference between Place des Vosges galleries (which attempt to sell expensive, often semi-mass produced, often-unchanging art trinkets to tourists) and respected art galleries that put on serious exhibitions for a reasonably informed art crowd or simply people who appreciate art (the type of galleries whose exhibitions might get a modest write up in the press and that change each month / quarter ) then fine.

The dead-on NYC analogy would be if Gagosian, Zwirner, Hauser & Wirth, Marlborough etc were all closed on Sunday but because Opera Gallery on Spring* is open that you’re good to go gallery hopping !

People should know that Sunday is NOT a reasonable day to hit the Marais galleries.

*although Opera Gallery on Spring has perm closed, I believe

Since you don’t need help because you live here, I’m happy to halt responding to you hereafter …

but I’ll note for the MF masses that, as always, just because Chambo’s post is in direct response to yours and is indeed totally on point that does NOT mean that its intended audience is just you … in fact, its intended audience is much broader than that … and hence probably helpful

Re “haute enough” for Chambo, I’m sorry but that dog don’t hunt …

If folks feel that there isn’t a MAJOR difference between Place des Vosges galleries (which attempt to sell expensive, often semi-mass produced, often-unchanging art trinkets to tourists) and respected art galleries that put on serious exhibitions for a reasonably informed art crowd or simply people who appreciate art (the type of galleries whose exhibitions might get a modest write up in the press and that change each month / quarter ) then fine.

The dead-on NYC analogy would be if Gagosian, Zwirner, Hauser & Wirth, Marlborough etc were all closed on Sunday but because Opera Gallery on Spring* is open that you’re good to go gallery hopping !

People should know that Sunday is NOT a reasonable day to hit the Marais galleries.

*although Opera Gallery on Spring has perm closed, I believe

I am not familiar with your art tastes @Chambolle, so it would be hard to understand what you are referring to, having no context or information. There is certainly more open in the Marais on Sundays than other neighborhoods (serious galleries notwithstanding), so while you may find the neighborhood highly undesirable if we are providing general information that is broadly usable for the mostly American tourists on this board, I'll throw it out there that many of you may find yourself interested in visiting either this neighborhood or Montmartre on a Sunday, should you find yourself in Paris. If you were to visit, for example Beaugrenelle on a Sunday, you would likely find it quite deserted and uninteresting. In the interest of providing general information, you'd likely find it pretty uninteresting on any day of the week, though I do not know what each of you enjoy so it is hard to say. If you do visit the Marais on a Sunday, please note that you will not be able to view serious art, unless of course you'd like to view some Picasso (and Calder at the moment). For the sake of clarity, it will not be available for purchase.

Rather than never speaking again as you've suggested @Chambolle, I'd suggest that we're probably the two people on the board most interested in food in Paris, so perhaps we could talk about the food we do like. The seems much better than (not)talking about what we don't or what we'd only eat if we had to because of a variety of factors like big groups, picky eaters, children and hours outside of the hours that - as you've correctly pointed out - are lunch time in Paris. While I do not need help finding somewhere to eat on Sundays, I do like talking about restaurants.

• Like 1

It occurs to me that those in Paris and most into current food trends are being bullied off the board. Sad for the rest of us.

Agree that it would be nice to talk about food without the bullying, especially the myriad of incredible places that I don’t think I’ve ever seen mentioned here. I’ll try to share a few that I really like, but I’ll take it offline if it becomes impossible to post.

I think a good compromise is Rue des Rosiers on Christmas day. Le Baron Rouge if you have that situation with tourists on Sunday (but not until late September obviously). Never been in July-Aug so I don't have an opinion.

• Like 1

Maybe it's not bullying; maybe it's just strong opinions, being expressed sans filter.

Since we have no effective filter, might I suggest a few guidelines?

Don't tipple and type.

Don't post while under the influence.

Take your meds as prescribed.

Use your delete button frequently.

Maybe it's not bullying; maybe it's just strong opinions, being expressed sans filter.

And the environment that has created happens to be one where the entire board is virtually devoid of useful information about food and restaurants. An awful lot of people with great information and frequent exposure to different places have totally stopped posting over the years, though I know that many lurk and read occasionally like myself. And a lot of those people have told me this is why. How many times have you gone directly to someone on this board for information on a place you’re traveling because they haven’t posted about it in years? It would be nice to restore some semblance of basic decency- perhaps we’d get people actually sharing again, rather than a circlejerk of - let’s face it - old white dudes who haven’t eaten at half or more of the places being discussed. Ya know?

• Like 1

Since we have no effective filter, might I suggest a few guidelines?

Don't tipple and type.

Don't post while under the influence.

Take your meds as prescribed.

Use your delete button frequently.

I'd really never be posting then.