Miguel Gierbolini

Paris Bistros, Restos

Bistro Paul Bert:  I know I know.  Still everything here was good.  steak au poivre, lamb shoulder, grand marnier scuffle.  So sue me.  I'll take it instead of Au Pied de Cochon.  All Americans (with the obligatory Asian tourists). 

There's a separate room for tourists at Paul Bert, hence it's always going to look like it's all Americans.  

I'm sure you've got more data points, but my meal last year was really delicious. Properly cooked sole, good rendition of steak au poivre, decent fries, good eggs with average truffles, Paris Brest, I want to say a bottle of Lapierre but I'd have to check. It is a sort of rough and course cooking, but also tasty and satisfying and like good from a cooking perspective (the sauce au poive had enough lift, the sole was only slightly over, the steak good and rare and grassy). Unfussy ;)

I am sure that there is a delta between it and better options, but it would also so clearly be the best classical bistro in most cities that it's hard not to slot it into the fun/delicious/worth a trip for that kind of thing category. It is hard to see it as a bad representation of this kind of cooking. 

I last visited Au Pied de Cochon at lunchtime, and the clientele were very much French, showing an amazing ability to put away pigs' feet and wine while still contemplating an afternoon in the office.

I was at lunch and everyone was speaking English (accentless except for the Brits ;)) or Spanish or Mandarin.

I'm sure you've got more data points, but my meal last year was really delicious. Properly cooked sole, good rendition of steak au poivre, decent fries, good eggs with average truffles, Paris Brest, I want to say a bottle of Lapierre but I'd have to check. It is a sort of rough and course cooking, but also tasty and satisfying and like good from a cooking perspective (the sauce au poive had enough lift, the sole was only slightly over, the steak good and rare and grassy). Unfussy ;)

I am sure that there is a delta between it and better options, but it would also so clearly be the best classical bistro in most cities that it's hard not to slot it into the fun/delicious/worth a trip for that kind of thing category. It is hard to see it as a bad representation of this kind of cooking. 

I would actually say it was probably better than L'Express. Better products, appears to be more seasonal with more variation in the dishes/interesting proteins, comparable level of cooking but perhaps a bit more technical in terms of saucing. Again, no statement as to where it is on the Paris hierarchy, but good vs. others in the class more broadly. 

No it's just fine, I was only stating a fact that as an American you're likely to get the impression it's all American because of separate rooms.

No it's just fine, I was only stating a fact that as an American you're likely to get the impression it's all American because of separate rooms.

Was responding to Jesika. We were in the tourist with a toddler room. You probably didn’t event know that existed.

Was responding to Jesika. We were in the tourist with a toddler room. You probably didn’t event know that existed.

I am telling you guys that this is a restaurant that has declined significantly. You don’t want to believe me. It’s up to you where you spend your time but Parisians are not setting foot in the place these days unless they’re friends with the staff.

Maison was very good and will likely get significantly better. A few dishes were great. Sota is not yet taking big chances, which is something he is known for, but nonetheless I think this is a restaurant well worth reserving at. The space is beautiful and I wonder what they’re planning to do with the lower floor, which is currently quite underutilized.

The menu:

Bar de Ligne Cru, Péche de Vigne, et Huile de Laurier

Céleri Rave, Miso de Noisette et Ventréche de Thon

Tartare de Homard et Jus de Poivrons rouges

Haticots de Paimpol et Bisque de Homard

Ceps d'Auvergne, Foie Gras, Encre de Seiche

Celtuce, Seiche et Lardo de Noir de Bigorre

Saint-Pierre Confit et Fenouil

Yuba, Pilpil et 'pinards

Palombe, Choux Kale, et Moule

Sorbet Chrysantheme

Crème Caramel de Mais - Chocolat

Restaurant ERH: Very nice meal and an unusually good beverage pairing mixing natural wines and sake. Many of these were really interesting and boundary pushing for a generic pairing that was not based on specific preferences (it would have been to mine but not anyone’s). Food is French Japanese and delicious, if not especially innovative. I was with girlfriends and there was beaucoup de vin, so I don’t have profound details to share. If this thing let me post pictures I could add the menu with the beverages written in but I don’t think the mobile interface lets me do that. Suffice to say that one of my friends loved it enough to make a second reservation this week.

Parisians are not setting foot in the place these days unless they’re friends with the staff.

Sure, they're all at au pied de cochon.

I wonder why a place like that would decline. Does Auboyneau not care any more? I should have thought he was more than competent to hire good kitchen staff.

I wonder why a place like that would decline. Does Auboyneau not care any more? I should have thought he was more than competent to hire good kitchen staff.

I have no prior meals as a benchmark but, as I said, my meal last spring was very good. I don't know. Primary chef change? Disinterest? 

Jesikka - where did you see the decline when you last ate there? Were the cooking/service/ingredients no longer on point?