That's a shame. They were the best since Arqua closed.

BTW: I was disappointed to see that the recipe in Marco's book called for egg; videos show him using just potato, flour, and salt(?). Egg makes it easier to work with, but very different from potato+flour alone.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another lovely meal and evening at Hearth.   Two new things on the menu which I enjoyed very much: a rich and also delicate beef consomme, with asparagus and....marrow! Delicious. Also, a salad of f

In my opinion, the level of satisfaction Hearth offers to many diners may in part be a function of the extent to which more overtly ambitious restaurants in New York are anti-climactic disappointments

What you can forget after living here for a while is that the perfect preparation of fish is only one component in creating a great dish. It stands on its own, but it would be better with the puree of

The gnocchi last night weren't bad; maybe not great, but still as good a rendition as available anywhere in Manhattan. Same for the ricotta/beef meatballs.

I imagine that at some point in the future, Hearth may be the subject of one of those "who goes there" pieces, as the place is 15 years in, and still doing good business,

Reasonable noise level, comfortable seating with actual space between the tables, nice service (I especially liked the somm); basically, a place for a grown-up meal, with prices that in this day and age, are quite comfy. To start, Significant Eater enjoyed her excellent gazpacho, while I scarfed down a lovely dish of marinated squid, with potatoes, beans and maybe a little summer squash.

Those meatballs (on polenta) were my wife's choice for her main, while I had pan-fried skate (a lovely fresh piece), served with green and yellow string beans. Desserts were fine for what they are.

Even the cocktails are good, a step above good restaurant cocktails...I liked that her drink was served properly cold. I didn't start with a cocktail, instead ordering a bottle of riesling. I don't know how the pricing on the rest of the list stacks up, but the wine I ordered appears to retail at around $30, and was $65 here.

I wouldn't hesitate to send picky or worried eaters here.

Right, in fact it's my go-to for out of town visitors, my daughter's last birthday (featuring non-foodie guests), and similar. It's interesting, it's reliable, it's affordable.

I mean I'm not dismissing it for residents also.

Right, in fact it's my go-to for out of town visitors, my daughter's last birthday (featuring non-foodie guests), and similar. It's interesting, it's reliable, it's affordable.

I mean I'm not dismissing it for residents also.

I totally agree.

I even like the (gasp) philosophy that is being espoused on the menu verso, though I'm sure it causes eye rolls.

This is the kind of place that has disappeared practically everywhere from Manhattan.

• 2 months later...

For it's 15th birthday (I know), Hearth is blowing the trumpet for its older neighbors -- Veselka, Streecha, J.Bacynzky. One night only tribute dinner, 11/29. Can't find a convenient link, sorry.

Want to do this, looking at when I get back from sunny Wisconsin that week.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Pleasant outdoor dinner at Hearth on a mild evening. Menu is shorter and less complex.

Excellent loaf of garlic bread (half of it came home). Calamari salad. Hefty braised duck legs with red cabbage and apple-fennel salad. Side of fries with really good aioli. Cookie sampler: ginger-molasses was the winner. And a heavy pour on the Calvados.