Well, uh, all of the flip-flopping, screwing off and general mayhem that has been my life recently (ever since quitting my lucrative yet entirely unfulfilling gig as Exec. Chef at a private club) has left me penniless, broken and yearning for the West. I've had some real interesting jobs in the last year and two months, 9 to be exact. Some highlights: I was a baker at a Cosi in the mall during the Christmas shopping season where I spent two hours a day whipping up bread and 4 others trying to make eye contact with the cute girls behind the makeup counter. I worked as a crew cook on the upcoming Johnny Cash biopic Walk the Line. Can't forget the 4 months I spent as a pastry chef at a restaurant so nasty and evil that I still shudder when I envision the decaying contents of my reach-in cooler. I was a killer wok cook for 3 months, went to Virginia for 3 weeks on a lark and peeled asparagus 12 hours a day at The Homestead Club in Hot Springs RFD. I catered a 311 show here in Memphis and hated every minute of it. Douch bag caterers!! Almost got my own restaurant or steakhouse or whatever. Almost purchased the restaurant that I'm working at now--except that you've got to have capital and I'm broker than ten drunk dishwashers on payday. And finally, after months of wandering these wastelands, I'm of the mind that my destiny lies out west. My father has agreed, reluctantly, to take me in for a rent free kick of the tires. I'll be moving out to Colorado Springs at the end of October, taking a circuitous route around the country. I've got an ex and work in Missoula, Montana so I'm going to camp and moutain bike and whatever out there for a spell and then wander down to Cspgs where I'll need to find work right off the bat. Does anyone have suggestions on where I should look around the Springs. I'm willing to commute to Denver if the job is stimulating enough to warrant the exorbitant gas bill. And although I'm a chef by trade, I'm not at all put off by being a pastry chef/grill bitch/saute god/beer brewer/and god forbid, the dreaded day prep guy--the guy who never sees the real action but gets to listen to killer tunes all day. I just need some steady work in a fine establishment. I can be an Indian or I can be a Chief, whatever the situation calls for. Thanks.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chef2chef.com

They have job listings. Also a forum. I recall that there is a pretty good Colorado base.

They are pretty supportive of professionals, but don't like it when someone new just blows in asks for a favor. Otherwise, it's a pretty good place for networking, talking shop for certain regions, California not being one of them.

craigslist looks like they have some restaurant positions posted

chef2chef.com

They have job listings. Also a forum. I recall that there is a pretty good Colorado base.

They are pretty supportive of professionals, but don't like it when someone new just blows in asks for a favor. Otherwise, it's a pretty good place for networking, talking shop for certain regions, California not being one of them.

craigslist looks like they have some restaurant positions posted

Thanks Chef.

Missoula has long enjoyed the reputation of a blue university-driven island in the midst of a generally conservative state.

Recently, the cultural folks have launched a campaign to emphasize the arts accomplishments and aspirations of the area and highlight the many people engaged in the arts.

Missoula - it's more than bull testicles!

Missoula has long enjoyed the reputation of a blue university-driven island in the midst of a generally conservative state.

Recently, the cultural folks have launched a campaign to emphasize the arts accomplishments and aspirations of the area and highlight the many people engaged in the arts.

Missoula - it's more than bull testicles!

Although you SHOULD attend the Testicle Festival if you are going to be there during that time of year (mid-September). It's a riot. Imagine a bunch of drunken Montanans (no one under-21 allowed) frolicing in the mountains, drinking strong beer, and eating fried testicles.

Sounds good to me, but I realize this may be off-putting for some members. :o

The website is www.testyfesty.com. Which cracks me up.

I have always loved Missoula. Great bars and like RP says a very culturally-aware city. But not in an annoying way. In a Montanan way, which I can't really explain, but you will undoubtedly become familiar with.

Check out: Dinosaur Cafe, which used to be Charley B's, a dark bar with a Creole ( :rolleyes: ) food counter in the back--good food! Check out the Oxford, for brains and eggs (they made me eat it), late-night hold 'em games, and a huuuuuuge gun collection behind the bar. Check out The Missoula Club, an institution, since the 1800s, for the best bar burger (made by the bartender on a flattop behind the bar), peanuts, and general atmosphere. There's also Jay's Upstairs, a "punk" bar/club which will undoubtedly host many great bands while you are there.

Beware that bartenders in Missoula tend to match you, shot for shot, and may kick your ass if you can't keep up. :o Also, you may find yourself forming lifelong friendships with complete strangers.

For food, Worden's Market and Deli is justifiably famous, and I've had some great meals at the Bridge Bistro, in the old theater building.

Head north on 93 for an hour or so up to the Flathead Lake basin, and hit up some of the restaurants in Polson (there's a fun Mexican place right on the water, can't remember the name), also in the Basin M&S Meats (in Rollins), featured in Gourmet a couple years back. God but their jerky and sausages are awesome. Every time I go there I load my freezer up.

And if you get bored, just look around you and take in all the beauty. I fucking love Montana. I wish I was there all the time! :lol:

EDIT: If you see Tommy the Leprechaun, tell him Hi.

The late Norman Maclean, author of the novella A River Runs Through It*, wrote that while growing up he discovered the world is "full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana."

Fly

(*the Redford film is referred to as "The Movie" by we fly-fishing types)