I'll keep in touch as computer time permits. I'm loading this thing into the trunk of my Nissan and don't plan on visiting any cybercafes along the way. I'm taking my ex's digital camera and will be documenting the journey that way. When I finally arrive at my final destination in Colorado I'll upload the more interesting photos to this thread. An artist friend of mine, a few years back--like 15, built me a diary from two pieces of mahogany and leather and some recycled looking paper. It's pretty cool but unused. I'll be keeping notes in that I'm sure.

I think Beans and I are getting together in Chicago on or around the 1st or 2nd of November. All straglers welcome. I'm sure there will be a few good stories that'll materialize...

And finally, does anyone know of a good book that'll give me information on camping along the route. I went to the bookstore but the selections were sad and uninformative. Like I'm going to use the Michelin Green Book or Fodor's to find a campground. I almost purchased Rough Travel in the US but I don't want to see the largest ball of twine or the rock formation that looks like an Indian chief if you stare at it from the right angle. I want practical info on camping inthe Northwestern part of the United States, along with motel listings that aren't too far off my route. Thanks in advance for the help.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be a good idea to get a few phone numbers, Spencer, if you get stuck -- call me up and I'll Google for you, or map things, if you need. I'm almost always home and at the computer, so I'd be glad to help if you need.

E-mail me if you want my phone numbers.

I think Beans and I are getting together in Chicago on or around the 1st or 2nd of November. All straglers welcome. I'm sure there will be a few good stories that'll materialize...

h

Shit, meet up???

I may shadow you to the point of those that I was in touch with at Vail. I need a productive winter season, and it ain't here on the patios of the the Cuyahoga on the northern shores of Lake Erie.

Driving from Chicago, through Wisconsin, Minnesota and South Dakota will take about a day, depending upon how maniacal or obsessed of a driver/destination oriented you may be. So, I figure you'll need one night in a tent somewhere.

Getting through fascinating Wyoming may take some time. I'm serious about wanting to stop just about every ten minutes to see this or that. Crossing Montana will take a solid day, and they do regulate speed limit, unlike what is commonly thought.

I figure minimal camping, but for stops may require some research. Hope you got extra memory cards as deleting what you really want and some good pics can be tormenting.

And pick up park service literature. I was really overly warned about mountain lions being pests. Who'd ever think, me the pied piper of strays, would find a feline that would be an adversary? :wub: I know how determined they can be from a pint sized representative....

I've got family all over Wyoming (another reason for wanting a stop to see some of the Todd ranch, the source for the logo for the State of Wyoming, as evidenced on the license plate). I envie your set out adventure. :lol:

After consulting my AAA Triptik I think I'm going to have to abandon the Chicago idea--too far off the route. Beans, you're insane!!!! But I guess that's why I like you. If you stilll want to meet me somewhere on the route that'd be cool but I'll just tell you right now that I'm going to be roughing it Jane and Michael Stern style, although I'm sure they don't fucking camp. Truck stop delis, mom and pop type places etc. for food. I'm not going to cook a single thing. There's so much to do. I'm basically ending this phase of my life and starting anew in the West...or maybe I'll get sick of mountains and move to Cali, or back East. The road is the thing man. Wherever it wants to take me.

After consulting my AAA Triptik I think I'm going to have to abandon the Chicago idea--too far off the route. Beans, you're insane!!!! But I guess that's why I like you. If you stilll want to meet me somewhere on the route that'd be cool but I'll just tell you right now that I'm going to be roughing it Jane and Michael Stern style, although I'm sure they don't fucking camp. Truck stop delis, mom and pop type places etc. for food. I'm not going to cook a single thing. There's so much to do. I'm basically ending this phase of my life and starting anew in the West...or maybe I'll get sick of mountains and move to Cali, or back East. The road is the thing man. Wherever it wants to take me.

Email me If things get too bad - I'll UPS you a foie gras terrine.

After consulting my AAA Triptik I think I'm going to have to abandon the Chicago idea--too far off the route.    Beans, you're insane!!!!  But I guess that's why I like you.    If you stilll want to meet me somewhere on the route that'd be cool but I'll just tell you right now that I'm going to be roughing it Jane and Michael Stern style, although I'm sure they don't fucking camp.  Truck stop delis, mom and pop type places etc. for food.  I'm not going to cook a single thing.  There's so much to do.  I'm basically ending this phase of my life and starting anew in the West...or maybe I'll get sick of mountains and move to Cali, or back East.  The road is the thing man.  Wherever it wants to take me.

Email me If things get too bad - I'll UPS you a foie gras terrine.

:wub:

• 2 weeks later...

After spending 1000 plus dollars on my car I think it's ready for the road. Next Thursday I'm leaving for the West in my Road Warrior--esque Sentra. We're packing the house as I type and last minute supplies are being purchased--my favorite being the car jump/air pump generator bought at Costco for 50 bucks. I'm going to exist (for a few days) on good baguette, bananas and water---and a few odd pharmaceuticals (mostly prescribed, albeit for someone else). I should arrive in Denver, or thereabouts, around Sunday, spending the night with my father in the Springs and then trekking Northward towards Missoula, MT. I'll probably stop in Boulder for some eats before commencing the long drive north. If anyone wants to meet up either in Denver or Boulder PM me and I'll give you my number. Otherwise, it'll be hasta la vista CWS. It's going to be some cold ass camping baby a la Chris McCandless. The road is the thing.

I'll probably stop in Boulder for some eats before commencing the long drive north. If anyone wants to meet up either in Denver or Boulder PM me and I'll give you my number. Otherwise, it'll be hasta la vista CWS. It's going to be some cold ass camping baby a la Chris McCandless. The road is the thing.

What might you be up for in Boulder or Denver?