Shake Shack

I still think that the plain Shake Shack cheeseburger tastes exactly like a plain Quarter Pounder with cheese. Smells the same, tastes the same.

Nope, no resemblance to a quarter pounder. What it resembles is Wendy's...

Resembles, or tastes? I will, on occasion eat McDonalds when I am on the road and haven't passed anything for a long time. Wendy's is foul and I'll never eat there. When you order something plain at McDonalds, it is cooked to order as is the Shake Shack. Taste them side to side, and you'll see.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Begins October 17

The burgers are too salty, though.

Yes! maybe flat meatballs with Mozarella style cheese, in a bun.

Posted Images

It's a good burger. It's nice to sit in the park and eat it on a nice day.

And if it was served indoors at any old Greek diner, there wouldn't be one thread about it. I've had burgers in bars I can't even remember the names of that were no worse, and often much better.

Resembles, or tastes? I will, on occasion eat McDonalds when I am on the road and haven't passed anything for a long time. Wendy's is foul and I'll never eat there. When you order something plain at McDonalds, it is cooked to order as is the Shake Shack. Taste them side to side, and you'll see.

This is incorrect. Burgers are cooked in large batches and held in steamer trays to keep warm. If you order a plain cheeseburger, they pull a burger from the tray, add a slice of cheese and give it to you. No different than if you had ordered it with all the toppings -- they just have less work for themselves building it.

I still think that the plain Shake Shack cheeseburger tastes exactly like a plain Quarter Pounder with cheese. Smells the same, tastes the same.

Nope, no resemblance to a quarter pounder. What it resembles is Wendy's...

The two are not even remotely similar in taste or appearance.

I still haven't been and haven't read anything that makes me want to go.

They make a cheeseburger that tastes good, and the fries are pretty good too. On a nice day, it is pleasant to have that kind of a burger and fries with a root beer sitting outside in the park. It reminds me of the snackbar food of my youth during summers at the local swimming pool. I am pretty sure that D. Meyer was mining this same nostalgia.

It deserves neither the amount of praise nor criticism that it has received. That people have chosen to attack the place as some sort of noble cause has served to do nothing more than fuel the hysteria that results in the misguided waiting in line for 45 minutes.

This is incorrect. Burgers are cooked in large batches and held in steamer trays to keep warm. If you order a plain cheeseburger, they pull a burger from the tray, add a slice of cheese and give it to you. No different than if you had ordered it with all the toppings -- they just have less work for themselves building it.

Are you saying I don't know what freshly cooked meat tastes like?

Ron, I am not attacking it, and I doubt you have tasted the two side by side. If you haven't, don't hypothesize the outcome.

Ron, I am not attacking it, and I doubt you have tasted the two side by side. If you haven't, don't hypothesize the outcome.

Possibly. What I am saying is that you're misinformed.

Have YOU done a side-by-side taste test? I'm guessing not.

Possibly. What I am saying is that you're misinformed.

Have YOU done a side-by-side taste test? I'm guessing not.

Misinformed? Informed by whom?

I have eaten so many plain Quarter Pounders with cheese in my life, I don't have to do a side by side. I know exactly what the taste will be nearly world wide. At least around this country and Europe.

The two times I was there walking towards the shack, I smelled the unmistakeable scent of McDonalds. There wasn't a McDonalds in sight, although I did see a Burger King. Burger King smells nothing like Mconalds. The first bite tasted exactly like every single plain Quarter Pounder with cheese I have ever eaten, as did every other bite.

it was supposed to open tomorrow but just like last year - they had a surprise opening today. the best news for anyone who likes to eat it whether it's the best ever or worst ever - is that according to eater.com today, they will now offer a shake wand so that you can be anywhere in the park and be notified when your order is ready for pickup. for those of us who have a second home inn the mad sq park dog run - this is pretty great news. they did not say whether or not there's a hefty charge for the privilege! but sitting in the dog run on a hot summer night with a good custard is not half bad.

I still haven't been and haven't read anything that makes me want to go.

They make a cheeseburger that tastes good, and the fries are pretty good too. On a nice day, it is pleasant to have that kind of a burger and fries with a root beer sitting outside in the park. It reminds me of the snackbar food of my youth during summers at the local swimming pool. I am pretty sure that D. Meyer was mining this same nostalgia.

It deserves neither the amount of praise nor criticism that it has received. That people have chosen to attack the place as some sort of noble cause has served to do nothing more than fuel the hysteria that results in the misguided waiting in line for 45 minutes.

I agree with you on this.. Its a decent burger in a lovely setting.. The hype is crazy however.. If people are looking for a great buger made by Danny Meyer, they should go to Blue Smoke..

. . .

I agree with you on this.. Its a decent burger in a lovely setting.. The hype is crazy however.. If people are looking for a great buger made by Danny Meyer, they should go to Blue Smoke..

Only had a bite of a burger at SS, so can't debate. But I agree that the burger at Blue Smoke is excellent . . . even if my first taste of it was at that ill-fated meeting lo these many years ago :P It was a nice way to spend my birthday, though.