Oktoberfest originated in Bavaria. It's a celebration of new beer, the first after the harvest of hops. The Bavarians needed something to eat with the beer, and pretzels were a good choice (along with sausages). As Behemoth says, those are normal sized German pretzels, and they're soft, not crisp. Those two photos in the link represent a mock Roman Catholic mass, with the beer replacing the chalice of wine and the pretzel, the offering of bread. It's a fairly blasphemous mockery, but is in keeping with the general tone of Oktoberfest.

I was in Munich last weekend for the Oktoberfest and I have never seen so many utterly drunk people. Fights, vomit and paramedics everywhere. Apart from that it was really good. :rolleyes:

Ah, Sydney on New Year's Eve.

I was in Munich last weekend for the Oktoberfest and I have never seen so many utterly drunk people. Fights, vomit and paramedics everywhere. Apart from that it was really good. :rolleyes:

Ah, Sydney on New Year's Eve.

I've heard a major contingent at octoberfest is australian. That would explain a lot, eh?

It was mainly Germans and Italians whilst we were there and quite a few Americans too. Didn't see one other English group. The problem is that you can only drink beer if you are seated and in order to get a table during the day (reservations are taken for the evening) you need to be there at 9-10am. It really was horrible seeing so many shitfaced people by 1pm. However, once we were safely in the tent for our 5.30pm table and I had drunk a nice cold stein of lager everything was OK. :rolleyes: