Goin' to Europe?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your American sew a Canadian flag on your backpack and wear an "I'm Canadian" t-shirt.

Please don't. Anyway, nobody falls for this, you know. Americans can never get into saying "eh!" and they continue to order Budweiser no matter where they go. They also don't automatically apologize when someone steps on their foot. :rolleyes:

Fly

Americans are not rude. It's a vicious rumour started by the French. Everybody knows that. Everybody knows that the first American tourists Europeans have been in contact with are largely from New York. And everybody knows that New Yorkers were in those soda commercials from the 70's where everyone is really happy and singing harmoniously.

If I were going to London I would wear an "I'm not a Brazilian Plummer and is this appropriate outwear" t-shirt I would also not carry a rucksack or a diaper bag on the bus or in the tube.

Oh, come on. You'll be perfectly safe as long as you don't do anything suspicious, like walk into the station at the same time as other people, keep your belongings with you, or check your phone for messages.

If I were going to London I would wear an "I'm not a Brazilian Plummer and is this appropriate outwear" t-shirt I would also not carry a rucksack or a diaper bag on the bus or in the tube.

Oh, come on. You'll be perfectly safe as long as you don't do anything suspicious, like walk into the station at the same time as other people, keep your belongings with you, or check your phone for messages.

The train enters the station. Uniformed police officers appear on the platform and surround me. They must immediately notice my French accent, still strong after living more than 12 years in London.

I really think he should stay away for awhile. :rolleyes:

Gee Maurice, I thought you asked a serious question. At least it seemed that way from the way you worded it.

Americans are not rude, but many are very America-centric. They expect to be treated in shops and resturants as they would when they are in their home towns, without realizing that there is a different way people behave and they should attempt to conform to that without feeling coerced.

For example, a friend asked for coffee before we began a meal, because he needed a cafeine boost. The "madame" refused to serve it, saying that its bitter tatse would ruin his palate for the food. He insisted and she kept refusing until finally he told her it was like "medicine" for him, and she relented. Her concern was for his palate. If you knew the French, you would understand that. If you didn't, you would say she was being nasty to him. It was a lovely meal and she was quite friendly throughout.

Ah, no wonder I had such a tough time of it.  Fanx.

You think any kind of slogan on a t-shirt would help?  How about "I don't have a big nose but please feel free to ask if I'm Jewish" ?

:rolleyes:

Speaking of which, what is the appropriate response to the comment "but you don't look Jewish"?

You think any kind of slogan on a t-shirt would help?  How about "I don't have a big nose but please feel free to ask if I'm Jewish" ?

Speaking of which, what is the appropriate response to the comment "but you don't look Jewish"?

"This is what Jewish looks like."

I'm Korean.

"What does a Jew look like?"

to whom?

If you plan on going to Malta, bring with you some shiny trinkets. We don't like them, but we do like the ability to label you as a tourist.

Maltese.jpg

Bad hair day for Orik. Feeling feisty!

maltese_comitini4.jpg

Fresh from the barber.

Melonious writes: "Gee Maurice, I thought you asked a serious question. At least it seemed that way from the way you worded it." And Miguel writes: " I thought this was a serious question. Feel free Maurice to provide some pointers."

Actually, when I posed this thread's central question, I sort of anticipated useful answers. Although I know a bunch of useful stuff for Paris and France, there's a lot I'd like to know about other European countries.

Nevertheless, since I myself have sometimes been facetious in more or less serious threads, I can hardly complain when posters here seek their fun by being outrageous. Besides, I think the membership here is sufficiently savvy to recognize that some advice, about London, say, is offered tongue in cheek. And perhaps future posters will offer some corrective notes. I myself, however, don't intend to police up the thread. That smacks of censorship, and censorship offends me.