Long Hot Peppers

totally compulsive purchase: while on farmers market i couldn't resist those beauties especially after i took a bite and was impressed by their sweet and true chili taste: i have the vague idea of pickling them so i bought the amount that should fit into a mason jar or maybe some kind of chili jam, but i would like to hear other suggestions. My only experience is with the green version of long hot peppers and they can be quite hot.

longhotpeppers27rh.jpg

They kinda look like fresh banana peppers, only they're red (duh). Pickling should be good. With fresh banana peppers I like to roast them, skin them and then use them on pizzas, sandwiches, basically anywhere you'd use a canned banana pepper.

i went quite diligently through a lot of books trying to identify the kind - the closest pictorial match was peperoncino from Norman's Herbs&Spices book.

Now guided by the italian theme i cracked the latest Batali's book open and made marinated grilled chanterelles with chilies, red onion, lemon and watercress.

grilledchanterelles9mz.jpg

there is a couple of interesting italian recipes in River Cafe's books, to use the rest of peppers.

Guest Suzanne F

Before I post, I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard. :wub:

Okay: at Match we made a Red Chili Chutney:

- roasted *red finger peppers* (just coat with olive oil, a little S&P, spread on a baking sheet and roast until soft; peel, split open and seed after)

- roasted tomatoes (olive oil, garlic cloves, lemon thyme)

- roasted shallots (roasted in the skins and squeezed out)

- roasted garlic (ditto)

all ground together (KitchenAid grinder attachment) and mixed with fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and evoo.

This accompanied beef fillet.

And now Kirsten's housemate, Jasmine, weighs in on the peppers: "They look like a form of cayenne, maybe a milder version of a true cayenne if they were sweet. They could also be a paprika pepper which would have a hint of heat but more sweet than anything."

They look much like the cayennes: maybe I have a photo of them somewhere.