Tuckerman

Jean Georges

Lunch yesterday, had somehow never been to JG proper.

During the day the room feels very crowded, though I could see how it's less of a problem at night. We sat in front of one of the "nook" two-top booths which I can't imagine being too romantic if you are staring directly at someone with bad hair or bad dandruff (luckily I had neither yesterday!) Again, in dimmer lighting less of a problem.

Food was uniformly excellent except for the asparagus salad. Rather than a small composed plate of asparagus, it was just....a salad. Greens, about half an avocado, and 3 (perfectly cooked) asparagus. The greens were soggy by the time I got to them and the dressing tasted very much like the marinade from the tuna ribbons. I would have much preferred a smaller, better plate.

The other courses we had were the madai sashimi, tuna ribbons, goat cheese royale, veal scallopine, and pork. All impressive, and although I probably ate 4+ courses in total (Mrs. Tubbs is not a big eater) I did not feel stuffed, overly thirsty, or otherwise gross.

The wine list is just as pricey as Per Se, but the "taste" pours are, as others have noted, reasonably sized.

The barista was backup up, and our cappuchinos were served late, not very attractively, and far too hot (my mouth still is burnt). A properly made cappuchino should not be too hot.

We sat in front of one of the "nook" two-top booths which I can't imagine being too romantic if you are staring directly at someone with bad hair or bad dandruff (luckily I had neither yesterday!)

I sat in one of those booths once, and it's terrific — almost (not quite) like being in your own little room.

Or spelled cappuchino.

That's too bad about the asparagus dish. I'm failing to remember details, but I used to like an asparagus dish there (definitely wasn't as you described).

Asparagus with morels in hollandaise and asparagus coulis. It was insane (but maybe not a lunch dish).

I specifically ordered the asparagus as Wells' last review had mentioned it. The asparagus were certainly good (peeled, perfectly cooked) but the rest of the plate was just unnecessary.

I ate a nougatine recently. For the most part, it was excellent (of course). I thought the habanero sauce for the filet was surprisingly hot. Although the filet was particularly seared/charred, I'm not sure I mattered. I didn't care for the rhubarb puree under the salmon. It was shockingly tart and completely overpowered an otherwise beautiful piece of fish. JG was in the kitchen the night I was there. I got the impression that this was not a common occurrence, because he took pictures with cooks.

JG was in the kitchen the night I was there. I got the impression that this was not a common occurrence, because he took pictures with cooks.

Maybe it's not common for the cooks to be there.

We sat in front of one of the "nook" two-top booths which I can't imagine being too romantic if you are staring directly at someone with bad hair or bad dandruff (luckily I had neither yesterday!)

I sat in one of those booths once, and it's terrific — almost (not quite) like being in your own little room.

I can definitely see that being the case at night. On a bright afternoon though it didn't seem pleasant. In fact, the next scheduled occupants refused the table.

I specifically ordered the asparagus as Wells' last review had mentioned it. The asparagus were certainly good (peeled, perfectly cooked) but the rest of the plate was just unnecessary.

To clarify, there are two asparagus dishes that regularly appear on Jean-Georges's lunch menu. One is an asparagus "salad," which is more of a green salad with asparagus and warm Hollandaise (photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ulteriorepicure/3397146472/in/photolist-bxNj7-6bcghU-bxNjk-bxNja-bxNje-6bchgq-nsUfKD-kppvq-4LfrMW-nqRT1U-6bchNj-6bch5d-4LfrL7-4LbeEP-4LfrMb-81iWgc-81b7yU-nfdLxE). While there isn't really anything wrong with this salad, in my opinion, I also don't think there's anything that great about it either. I generally think of this dish as Jean-Georges's version of the "obligatory" lunch salad for a demographic that is bound to include the lunch salad-eating business set.

The other asparagus dish with which I am familiar is the one that Adrian mentioned above (photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ulteriorepicure/13944414268/in/photolist-bxNj7-6bcghU-bxNjk-bxNja-bxNje-6bchgq-nsUfKD-kppvq-4LfrMW-nqRT1U-6bchNj-6bch5d-4LfrL7-4LbeEP-4LfrMb-81iWgc-81b7yU-nfdLxE), except, in my experience (and I've had this dish maybe three or four times), the sauce has never been Hollandaise. I've only seen this asparagus dish served with morels cooked in a slightly creamy Chateau Chalon sauce. This dish, in my opinion, is great.