Tuckerman

Jean Georges

Hmmm. The Chateau Chalon is served with the skate (lunch)/turbot (dinner). The recipe for the morel dish says it a hollandaise, which is how it was described to me: http://www.jean-georges.com/recipes/seasonal/green-asparagus-with-morels-and-asparagus-jus/

ETA: though there could be another variant, or a chateau chalon infused hollandaise.

Huh. It's always been described as asparagus with a vin jaune sauce. In fact, I most-recently had this dish a couple of weeks ago, when it was described as a Chateau Chalon-morel sauce.

(And yes, the turbot - which, I believe is now skate at lunch, as you say - at lunch is traditionally served with Jean-Georges's famous Chateau Chalon sauce as well.)

there's probably chateau chalon in the restaurant version. or not.

regardless, it's delicious.

the J-G chateau-chalon sauce is a reduction, not an emulsion-y hollandaise-y thing.

There is a separate hollandaise asparagus prep.

I've had both and prefer the c-c personally.

The more salad-y of the asparagus dishes date at least back to the VONG days in one incarnation, where the hollandaise had chili. The greens in the soy/lemon dressing were intentionally just this side of overdressed.

the J-G chateau-chalon sauce is a reduction, not an emulsion-y hollandaise-y thing.

There is a separate hollandaise asparagus prep.

I've had both and prefer the c-c personally.

Right, that sauce isn't like a hollandaise (and of course every Chateau Chalon sauce is a vin jaune sauce, but not vice versa).

So, when you cook with Chateau-Chalon, what Chateau-Chalon do you use?

manzanilla and just a little sugar.

Sugar? Can't be much drier wine in the world than C-C.

The real news buried in that article is that JG offers an 11 course extended tasting. Who knew?