"Hello, my name is __, and I'm addicted

Until I overdo it. Picked up a pound of what I believe are fresh-dug "green" peanuts in Chinatown on Saturday. Used a recipe from, I think it's called, "Hoppin' John's Low Country Cookin'", really just water and salt. Boiled for an hour, maybe a bit more. Let them sit in the salty water. Wow! And I've been feeling quite poorly lately, off my feed, but this lovely, messy snack I can easily pop while standing over the kitchen sink. I've read plenty of longing, sighing accounts written by displaced southerners on the glory of "balled goobers." Had them only once before, at Prune. Can't wait to buy more.

I also had them over the weekend. I picked mine up at the greenmarket last friday. Fabulous stuff. They're a lot of fun to eat, especially when they squirt all over place - like onto your snacking companion. We actually served them to friends, and I've created a new set of fans.

i love this stuff - i use some sort of asian recipe, to boil them with soy sauce, green tea, palm sugar and anise stars.

Sounds delicious. I believe I've seen a number of variations on the method, using all sorts of aromatics. I think that Prune used some star anise, and maybe black pepper.

They're actually still sort of wet. The shells aren't as dry and dusty as regular raw peanuts. There are recipes, though, for boiling the "older" raw peanuts, usually calling for a much longer boiling/soaking time. The type of peanut that is most often recommended is the red-skinned Spanish variety. I think those are usually longer and thinner, with more peas, than the ones I found.

The big orange potato-sack sort of bags that they I saw being unloaded in some of the produce stores had labels that said something like "Carolina (green?) boiling peanuts."

By green peanuts, do you mean unroasted? Is it the same as raw peanuts?

Green peanuts are new peanuts - just out of the ground. The ones I bought were still attached to the plants. Raw peanuts can be treated the same way as green peanuts, but because you don't know how old they are, they might need longer boiling to soften.

I'd take a photo of what's left of my batch, unfortunately we don't own a digital camera.

• 3 years later...

Boiled peanuts are awesome. I eat tons of them when I'm down in Savannah- in the summertime, every grocery store carries raw peanuts. Up here it's a little more of a hassle to find the raw peanuts, but it's totally worth it. They're best enjoyed while sitting outside and drinking a cold beer or three.

i love this stuff - i use some sort of asian recipe, to boil them with soy sauce, green tea, palm sugar and anise stars.

I started buying them at the Korean market as banchan. Don't recall ever seeing them in Korea though, maybe it's an influence picked up here in the States.

• 4 weeks later...