Sign in to follow this  
omnivorette

Digital Cameras

Trying to choose a digital camera. I think I've narrowed it down to the Canon PowerShot A70 (or A75 if it's out yet), and the Nikon Coolpix 3100 (or 3200 if it's out yet).

Any opinions, please? Or anything else I should be considering in that category?

Thanks much.

Of the two models you mention, the A70 is significantly better, but don't expect very much of it (note that the optics are 35-105mm and that resolution is only 3M pixels).

I agree with Orik. Generally speaking, Canon digital cameras offer a tremendous value for their price point (as compared to other brands). If it is at all within your budget, I'd suggest you seriously consider the A80, or S410. Whatever you do, choose Canon over Nikon.. always (at least when it comes to digital). Good luck, and enjoy! (I expect many delicious food photos from you in the near future ;) )

The Canon Digital Rebel is simply a marvel of modern technology, especially at that price (though I realize $1000 for a camera is hardly cheap). Who wants to buy me one?

Thanks everybody.

I'm not going to spend more than, say, $350. So forget an SLR, although I understand what I'm giving up.

I'm sold on Canon.

So why the A80 and not the A75?

Whatever you do, choose Canon over Nikon.. always (at least when it comes to digital).

Why, Pixel? Could you go into some detail, or refer us to some online commentary. I'm also self-educating on this subject at the moment. Thanks.

Thanks for that link - but it's a little out of date. For example, the new Canon A75 isn't on there yet (it's the new replacement for the A70).

I found another site:

Digital Camera Comparisons

I think I'm leaning strongly toward the Canona A75, especially after some advice from Melodious Thunk, who is a serious Gadget Guy. :)