Sign in to follow this  
tanabutler

Chiles

Need a substitute for guajillo chiles - i have only ancho or anaheim - - what do you suggest to use? both seems to be less hotter than guajillo... i also have some smoked oaxacan pasilla and mulato.

Need a substitute for guajillo chiles - i have only ancho or anaheim - - what do you suggest to use? both seems to be less hotter than guajillo... i also have some smoked oaxacan pasilla and mulato.

Is the anahiem dried? i think a New mexico dried red chile is close but not as complex or delicious.

The only real substitutes for chiles guajillo are mirasol or puya--and they're really both just other names for guajillo. Try to get chiles that are really flexible, like soft leather. But I think you already know that, so I'll shut up.

On another tack, I was reading last night about your incredible cookbook collection. Have you ever seen The Northern Chinese Cookbook, by Wonona and Irving Chang and Lillian and Austin Kutscher? It includes recipes from Peking [sic], Shanghai, and Szechuan. Published in 1973, before we switched to Beijing. The format is a bit odd: the ingredients are listed as A, B, C, D, E, F, etc and the recipes are written "Add A to B, stir in C, stir fry E and F..." which makes them strange to follow, but it's a great book. I've cooked from it ever since it came out. It includes a recipe for kidneys in peanut butter, one of the few from the book that I haven't tried. If you don't have it, ABE probably does.

And a big yes yes yes to your recommendation for Eileen Yin Fei-Lo's The Chinese Kitchen. A friend gave it to me in galley proofs and I fell instantly in love.

Ummm...with the book.

Try to get chiles that are really flexible, like soft leather. But I think you already know that, so I'll shut up.

please don't - i didn't know that :P altough i was rewarded for my venturing out in this weather - secured a bag of leather soft guajillo chiles - RTBH :P

It may be my bad luck but I find guajillos to be prone to bugs. Those Egyptian moths that turn the chiles to powder and webs. I've heard you can freeze them overnight to kill any passengers. Or just buy small quantities.

just counted - there is a dozen of pods in a bag of guajillos i got - half of them will be used tonight... so hopefully i'll avoid a nightmare of webs and worms...

just counted - there is a dozen of pods in a bag of guajillos i got - half of them will be used tonight... so hopefully i'll avoid a nightmare of webs and worms...

Make chilaquiles with the rest!

I make chilaquiles the same way as my migas. I take fritos or doritos, douse them with tapatio hot sauce and stir in some eggs. In North Africa this is called shakshouka.

I make chilaquiles the same way as my migas. I take fritos or doritos, douse them with tapatio hot sauce and stir in some eggs. In North Africa this is called shakshouka.

Round these parts we call that "Yuck!"

And I mean that in the nice way.

Round these parts we call that "Yuck!"

And I mean that in the nice way.

SNOB!

:P :P <faints dead away> :P :P

Uh oh...I feel a new Mexican Cooking Project coming on. Anybody want to make chilaquiles?