just counted - there is a dozen of pods in a bag of guajillos i got - half of them will be used tonight... so hopefully i'll avoid a nightmare of webs and worms...

Make chilaquiles with the rest!

I make chilaquiles the same way as my migas. I take fritos or doritos, douse them with tapatio hot sauce and stir in some eggs. In North Africa this is called shakshouka.

:P :P <faints dead away> :P :P

Uh oh...I feel a new Mexican Cooking Project coming on. Anybody want to make chilaquiles?

Sometimes I use Pringles and ketchup. :P

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just counted - there is a dozen of pods in a bag of guajillos i got - half of them will be used tonight... so hopefully i'll avoid a nightmare of webs and worms...

Make chilaquiles with the rest!

I make chilaquiles the same way as my migas. I take fritos or doritos, douse them with tapatio hot sauce and stir in some eggs. In North Africa this is called shakshouka.

:P :P <faints dead away> :P :P

Uh oh...I feel a new Mexican Cooking Project coming on. Anybody want to make chilaquiles?

Sometimes I use Pringles and ketchup. :P

<wipes brow>

That's way more like it, pshew.

• 10 months later...

habaneros are sold dried?

i mean chiles which are used in large quantities in cooking outside of "world's stupidest man" competitions. this is for substitution in sichuan cooking and so should be dried red chiles, ideally with a bright, and not smoky flavour.

I just found this:

Generally speaking, the wild varieties (spherical "tepins") are called chiltepins and the domesticated varieties (oblong "piquins") are called piquins or pequins, but in Texas the wild varieties are called chilipiquins.

They are hot but they have a nice flavor too.

habaneros are sold dried?

i mean chiles which are used in large quantities in cooking outside of "world's stupidest man" competitions. this is for substitution in sichuan cooking and so should be dried red chiles, ideally with a bright, and not smoky flavour.

Yep. Seen them at Fairway Market as well.

Dried Chiles

i think the dried habaneros would be lethal for my purposes. i'm going to look for those spherical piquins--i think the sichuan chiles i'm looking to substitute for are speherical as well, and so it will serve the aesthetic purpose as well.

I use Japones chiles or arbol chiles for Chinese recipes when I don't feel like hunting around for ingredients. The Japones and arbol are two of the most common small, dried red chiles I've seen in Mexican food sections and Mexican stores in Los Angeles.

The habaneros are evil. Tasting one is like a blow to your head. They lack the undertaste of sweetness that even the hottest chilies have. I tried pickling it once. They were still awful. They looked beautiful though - all red and gold glistening in the oil, tempting you to take a bite - and whamo!

The habaneros are evil. Tasting one is like a blow to your head. They lack the undertaste of sweetness that even the hottest chilies have. I tried pickling it once. They were still awful. They looked beautiful though - all red and gold glistening in the oil, tempting you to take a bite - and whamo!

Really? I think they're delicious.