Hotel recs.

Guest johnboy

Guest johnboy

Hi people,

we are going to be in NY for a couple of days early december, and I was wondering if anyone had any hotel recommendations? Doesn't need to be anything too chi-chi, central location is a plus. Any ideas?

Ta.

Your visit will coincide with peak rates for hotels, so I doubt you'll find many good deals. Avoid, at all costs, the Hudson Hotel, or any other Ian Shrager hotels for that matter. While they have good bar scenes, the rooms and service SUCK.

I have stayed at the 70 Park Avenue (formerly the Doral) on many occasions, and I have been very pleased. It is mid-priced for Manhattan with a good centralized location at 38th and Park. It is just a couple blocks from Grand Central, so you can pick up most trains with ease, and it is in a relatively quiet neighborhood.

what area of the city are you most interested in visiting, to be centrally located?

really, almost all of the city, except outer regions of queens and brooklyn are accesible by subway, the rest by bus (and of course all of it by taxi).

i can give you hotel info if you are interested in the hell's kitchen/broadway/upper west side area. we get put up in hotels here often when there's an emergency or bad weather. the going rates are around $150 per night.

one caveat: the hudson hotel is ridiculous. for about $250 per night, you get the janitor's closet. but on the upside, on previous times there, i ran into julia roberts and brad pitt. literally. i was going by on my skates. ;)

• 4 years later...

I'm searching for a hotel but there are some limitations. It must be near Avery Fisher Hall (which is considered UWS, right?), it must be relatively clean and very safe, and it must be cheap. Like no more than $150/night.

I used Quikbook which Kikujiro mentioned above, and it looks like Park 79 Hotel and Hotel Belleclaire would fit #1 and #4, but I'm not so sure about #2 and #3. The Park 79 room would have a shared bath, but I think that would be OK. Hotel Belleclaire may or may not have a shared bath.

Hotel Belleclaire rates higher on TripAdvisor, but both have a mixture of good and bad reviews, the bad reviews being very similar in nature (small rooms, etc.).

Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of either hotel? Or any other recommendations that would fit the criteria above? It'll be a short stay--two or three nights right at the end of May, if that makes a difference in hotel availability.

Jane hotel in Soho recently had rooms for $89 a night. Add in $4.50 for subways, and you can get some change for your $150 bill.

There's been some interest in the hotels around Newark airport, where $69 a night can be found from time to time. All have shuttles to the train ($5 to NY Penn). I also like the Sheraton Weehawken ($79-129, with a free ferry ride and drop dead views of Manhattan). The ferry people offer a bus from the terminal to Lincoln Center, and return.