My laptop's operating system, XP Home Edition, is dying by fits and starts, its .dlls cross-corrupting themselves with abandon. The machine came with the program already installed and without a disk back up. So I guess I have to bite the bullet and buy a new copy. Anybody know where I can get a full-installation copy (Not an upgrade) cheap?

Maurice, if you are able to boot your system, the first thing you should do is run a good spyware program. The best one i've used for XP is a freebie from Microsoft called Anti-Spy. That might clear up your problems without having to go through the headache of reinstallation.

If that doesn't help, try doing a system restore. Go into (in the start icon on the lower left) Programs/Accessories/System Tools and launch System Restore.

If this fails, then go with what Lex said. Hopefully, you have a legally licensed copy of the operating system.

I had a problem where I would keep booting to SAFE mode and it would reboot until it "healed" itself, sometimes and hour later! Ant- Spyware fixed it.

At one point I was going to reinstall XP but there was that huge upgrade and when I triued it wouldn't let me because the disc version was older.

On the whole, XP has been great.

At some point I would like to reinstall it. My home laptap has nothing on it and it reboots like lightening.

Maurice, if you are able to boot your system, the first thing you should do is run a good spyware program. The best one i've used for XP is a freebie from Microsoft called Anti-Spy. That might clear up your problems without having to go through the headache of reinstallation.

If that doesn't help, try doing a system restore. Go into (in the start icon on the lower left) Programs/Accessories/System Tools and launch System Restore.

If this fails, then go with what Lex said. Hopefully, you have a legally licensed copy of the operating system.

I've had a program called Spyware Doctor monitoring my system for quite some time now, and I'm pretty sure neither spyware nor a virus is at the root of my probem.

I tried system restore, at a half-dozen or more retrogressive restoration points, none of which "took."

So I believe it's going to be Lex's suggestion. And yes, I've a legally licensed, registered, and fully authorized XP on board.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to offer help. Much appreciated. As soon as I find a good recipe for fricassee of internet browser, I'll send it along.

I had a problem where I would keep booting to SAFE mode and it would reboot until it "healed" itself, sometimes and hour later! Ant- Spyware fixed it.

At one point I was going to reinstall XP but there was that huge upgrade and when I triued it wouldn't let me because the disc version was older.

On the whole, XP has been great.

At some point I would like to reinstall it. My home laptap has nothing on it and it reboots like lightening.

Oddly, I've had better luck with ME on my desktop than with XP on both of my laptops.