Dislike Travel

Bloody inconvenient.

Travelled around throughout Europe, Africa, North America as a young person.

Old now.

Cranky.

I even turned down an opportunity to perhaps visit some of you lot in NYC this coming week and weekend while presenting a few workshops. A friend who loves travel will be doing them instead.

Since wherever I go, there I am, I might as well stay where I know where the bathroom is and where to put my glasses.

Harumph, harumph.

You?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Business travel - sucks, except to NO, NYC, LV, SF.

Pleasure travel - great, I'm going where I want.

Some rules of thumb - take it slow, try to never stay in a hotel for only one night (3 nights preferred), never drive more than a couple hours if possible and never more than 4 period.

How far are you from NYC?

I even turned down an opportunity to perhaps visit some of you lot in NYC this coming week and weekend while presenting a few workshops. A friend who loves travel will be doing them instead.

I'm sorry, but I'm just too upset by this statement to answer your question.

:blink:

Oop.

Well, given circumstances over the last weeks and more it seemed not likely to be warm and fuzzy but perhaps heated and spikey and with absences agaping without agape (the decision was made in January, I believe).

There'll be other such opportunities, no doubt. After all, DiFara's beckons.

Still, the intended point, the gist, the nib as it were of this thread...

Does one actually like to travel? As opposed to just being able to get about one's day?

Well, given circumstances over the last weeks and more it seemed not likely to be warm and fuzzy but perhaps heated and spikey and with absences agaping without agape...

Thankfully, I am not involved.

But to answer your question - I love to arrive, but the getting there annoys me no end.

I never travelled any great distance until I was about 19 or 20 years. That was my first time on an airplane, so I rather enjoy the whole of it. The airport, the views, train and airplane rides, etc. I don't travel much for business and only climb aboard a plane 3-4 times a year (usually for pleasure) so my perspective is different.

As a small child I would with awe and longing, stare up into the Friday evening summer sky as the "connies" would circle one behind the other into Idlewild. A vivid memory.

I started out cranky. I used to hate travel for much the same reasons Jin gives. Therefore, I didn't do the typical youthful backpacking around the world. I started to enjoy travel, probably when I was in my thirties. It's been a major part of my life for the last fifteen years. I do like travel now, although I am very weary of airplanes. There is a school of thought that I only started to like travel when it became associated with comfortable hotels, car services, business cabins, and all the other appurtenances of prosperous middle age.

Prob'ly true.

I find travel to places I've read about and anticipated to have a far different impact on me than places which are unfamiliar.

The former have the wonder of association, the latter sheer delight in the "I wonder why?" factor.

Last week I had the good fortune to add another 250 miles to my US 66 voyage. This section ran from the Colorado-California border to San Bernardino, across the Mojave desert and southern Death Valley, and over Cajon Pass toward LA. Almost all of it was 1930s vintage highway, completely empty.

The battered motor courts, towering signs bereft of long gone gasoline stations, chimneys alone, I knew them. Undoubtedly the result of careful study of the guide books and a life long love of maps, yet I knew what to expect, which left me to examine and log these places.

The hill outside Bagdad CA which destroyed so many Model T Fords with their puny water cooled engines, the "last water for 50 miles" which cost a week's pay. The tears which undoubtedly dripped on the 90+ degree pavement.

Places I don't know have a different impact. They drive me to know more, to find the reason. The gargoyles on that building on 41st street just west of sixth avenue in Manhattan, for example. Why? Who put them there?

second post on MF

Almost everything on the subject was already said in de Botton's "Art of Travel".

Or it's just a perfect excuse for me of not joining Alex in his Asia's travels. I mean i enjoy his stories but prefer to live vicariously :rolleyes:

To buy a couple of even obscure foodbooks is much cheaper anyway, and i can avoid the sight of live chickens destined to death on otherwise picturesque local food market (oh well, hypocritical me :ph43r: )

I love long road trips when there is no tight schedule and you can stop for as long as you like at any given point along the way. I have twice driven across the Western United States in this fashion and it was most enjoyable. Flying, in general, sucks, and does so even more now that we have the Patriot Act.

Everytime I go to NYC it snows very hard and my flight gets cancelled. I intend to plan a trip in mid-July and see if I can instigate a weather anomaly.

My moniker says it all: I love to travel. Maybe I even live to travel! I've been home for 5 solid months, and have a case of cabin fever greater than the whole salmon in my freezer. I've spent most of these months planning trips through October '04, with enough ideas to spill into '05.

Wilf says it well when he admits that being able to travel on a certain level smooths out the rough spots that are so draining. But I am so wierd and wired that my heart beats a little faster when I just drive past the airport offramp! I don't mind airports, airplanes, trains, rental cars. I love the anticipation of new places and feel comforted when returning to familiar favorites.

Fortunately, we leave town in one week, and I'll report back on our findings: small dining rooms in Paris and several food fairs. I just wish I could take Jin along to share the joy.

(And when all is said and done, travel sure beats staying home, chasing dust bunnies, paying utility bills and dead-heading the garden! :(