Has the topic of children in restaurants always been so contentious? It seems that for the last two years or so, there are almost constant articles/threads about it.

It makes me wonder whether it's the children themselves that are the issue, or some perception about the 'breakdown of society' and conflicts between different social groups. From reading comments about the issue (not here), it's clear that there are people who hyperventilate at the thought of sharing space with people under the age of 12 - which must be very debilitating.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes me wonder whether it's the children themselves that are the issue, or some perception about the 'breakdown of society' and conflicts between different social groups.

that's very interesting. the bakery's neighborhood has been changing rapidly from a gay one to a yuppie one (previously it was a swedish/arab one).

my wife's comment was 'the gay guys don't want a bunch of obnoxious kids around.'

Back in my early brooding years, I traded baby-sitting hours with a peer so that 1) each of us could have inexpensive time off, 2) our child(ren) could be cared for in a safe and stressless environment, and 3) friends and strangers in restaurants, social gatherings, theater, etc, did not have their evenings compromised by children who had little interest in the event.

I don't "get it" that children or their parents have an "entitlement" to compromise public gatherings at which the child cannot participate with grace.

:lol:

There are a lot of relatively young parent(s) who come into the restaurant where I work and let their kids run everywhere. Most of them screaming. Many of these parent(s) become upset with us because we can't immediately clear out the smoking section as soon as they bring their kids in. "Um, do you have to let them smoke in here? My kid . . . " Sorry, but there's a smoking section here, and there are plenty of other non-smoking places to eat, including, I assume, your own home. We *do* deliver.

This behavior is common at my job because the owner lets his kids (3 of them) do it too. I resent it, and so do the cooks and servers, who are already stressed-out by the constant rush, and so do many of our customers. The owner's kids and some of their friends will even run behind the line and crash into my legs to hug me while I am working. Sorry, but I'm not here to babysit. It's not cute, and it's not funny. It's bullshit.

Back in my early brooding years, I traded baby-sitting hours with a peer so that 1) each of us could have inexpensive time off, 2) our child(ren) could be cared for in a safe and stressless environment, and 3) friends and strangers in restaurants, social gatherings, theater, etc, did not have their evenings compromised by children who had little interest in the event.

I don't "get it" that children or their parents have an "entitlement" to compromise public gatherings at which the child cannot participate with grace.

:lol:

I know lots of couples who've done this. It really works well, for everybody, for all the reasons you've mentioned.

Ultimately, that is exactly what we do with Logan. There are a lot of self-centered people (with the pandemic "send of entitlement") raising self-centered brats: that is undeniable.

Having observed this phenomenon in some detail, I can tell you that parents do not get the (small) children they deserve. It is daft to suggest that all problems of child behaviour stem from poor parenting. Indeed, the 'problem' of children in restaurants is that the little fuckers will just not behave inhibitedly, like adults -- adults, it should be pointed out, who in the same situation often consume large volumes of alcohol with the sole objective of being less inhibited.

A famous Maltese publicist recently described Yalta as "... resembling a coffeeshop that's very much like a starbucks, but with airplane seating. Every available set has a kicking and screaming, puking and shitting child behind it..."

The owner's kids and some of their friends will even run behind the line and crash into my legs to hug me while I am working.

Cute. Isn't this sort of dangerous, given that you're back there handling scalding hot coffee and stuff?

The running-around part is a huge hazard. I can't tell you how many times I've seen an out-of-control kid crash into the legs of a waitperson who's carrying a massive tray loaded up with plates of hot food. God bless the waitstaff and their agility, but at some point, one o'them kids is gonna get creamed.

my wife's comment was 'the gay guys don't want a bunch of obnoxious kids around.'

Surely there must be gay parents in your gay-becoming-yuppie neighborhood. I live in a similar neighborhood and there are loads of gay men and women with children. I am friendly with two male couples who live in my area and who have small children.

Surely there must be gay parents in your gay-becoming-yuppie neighborhood. I live in a similar neighborhood and there are loads of gay men and women with children. I am friendly with two male couples who live in my area and who have small children.

On the other hand.....friends of mine with younger children feel that if they go with their children to Big Cup, a coffee place on 8th with a heavily gay clientele, they are made to feel very uncomfortable because of nasty looks sent their way.

I think one can site examples that can go either way. The gay population isn't monolithic, just the way the straight population isn't.