• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember watching the premier of this show at my father's house when I arrived for my mother's funeral. When I got back home, I never wanted to watch the show because it reminded me of the awkward silence amongst the family when we all sat there, not knowing what to say to one another after my mother's passing.

After hearing a recap of the finale on the news this morning, somehow I feel justified that I completely predicted the crux of the show all those years ago.

I remember watching the premier of this show at my father's house when I arrived for my mother's funeral. When I got back home, I never wanted to watch the show because it reminded me of the awkward silence amongst the family when we all sat there, not knowing what to say to one another after my mother's passing.

After hearing a recap of the finale on the news this morning, somehow I feel justified that I completely predicted the crux of the show all those years ago.

Interesting. I felt the same way about the second season of Survivor. It premiered the night my father died (which also happened to be Super Bowl Sunday), and I remember seeing glimpses of it as I sat in the emergency room waiting room. I didn't watch a single episode of the rest of the season.

I had also suspected the show might end as such, but I thought it would be too much of a cop-out, so it would never happen. I guess I had too much faith in the creators of the show.

Is it worth my while to get these on Netflix? (I only watched the first few episodes of the first series and it didn't really click with me.)

first two seasons, very good. third, good. downhill from there, but probably not as bad if you're watching in a compressed time-frame.

Agree with MJ. Questions are a lot more interesting than answers. Last night's finale was more disappointing than Seinfeld's. (Has there ever been an over-hyped finale that was good? Perhaps The Sopranos.)

After a two hour self-congratulatory retrospective of flashbacks -- mostly the same flashbacks shown at the beginning of every episode for the past six years -- the finale was little more than (1) commercials; (2) flashbacks; (3) redundant overly-sentimental drivel; and (4) umm, I'm trying to think of any questions that were answered. If they were, I forgot. No intrigue. No plot twists. No great answers.

So what did we end up with? The Island was real, but we don't know what it was or whether saving it was important. The flash-sideways was some kind of purgatory? And some time in the future, all of the deal Losties got together in a -- was that a church -- surrounded by symbols of all major modern religions (I didn't any Egyptian symbols, even though that seemed to be the closest religion to the Island), and walked off into the light.

The one place they came close to something interesting, when Flock becomes mortal, they then ignored. Young, buff Jack with magic powers to rule the Island (or perhaps he became "mortal" too?) gets his ass kicked buy an old guy.

So what. That still doesn't tell us anything about the mysteries: What was the Island? Who were the others? What was Dharma doing? Why was there a map on the wall of the hatch? How did the Island do all the things it did -- or if it was Jacob, why couldn't Jacob keep doing it?

I just read on CNN that the show was 1:45 minutes of "show" and 45 minutes of commercials. Much of the "show" consisted of flashbacks, utterly meaningless "reconnections" (the producers might want to think of Lost as a love story; but it wasn't); and lots of walking around.

Etc.

I admit that Lost lost me before the finale. I was too annoyed by the shortened seasons that started whenever the producers felt like putting on a couple of episodes. I didn't like the sudden inexplicable character changes, predominantly nice-guys Sawyer and Ben. And I didn't like the show and viewers making too much of meaningless tidbits -- Oh, Jack's neck is bleeding because Lock almost stabbed him! So fucking what? That's cute, but it's not storytelling.

and what is it with you americans and your father/son narratives?

speaking of which, it's not like the show was finally opposed to answering questions. it explained the "sideways" universe at tedious, soft-focused length. but it's like they tossed a bunch of possible explanations for the relationship of the "sideways" universe to the "real" universe into a hat and then carefully picked out the most boring one. the real issue is that no one was really interested in the "sideways" story arc for its own sake--we expected it to explain something (however obliquely) about the narrative we'd spent five years on. but they gave us almost nothing about that (how did the dharma initiative find the island? where did the hippies in the temple with the leader assembled from a grab-bag of japanese cliches come from? what happened when the bomb exploded? what the hell was up with widmore and the good witch?) and instead spent 10 minutes on people embracing in slow-motion. and wasn't nadia sayid's true love? and where was mr. eko? desmond wasn't on the plane so why was he in the church? and if he could make it in then why not all the other non-plane characters? and what dog ever lies splayed out on the ground like vincent did? and did that russian ever make it out alive from the pine barrens?