I have of late--but

wherefore I know not--lost all my mirth, forgone all

custom of exercises; and indeed it goes so heavily

with my disposition that this goodly frame, the

earth, seems to me a sterile promontory, this most

excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave

o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted

with golden fire, why, it appears no other thing to

me than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours.

What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason!

how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how

express and admirable! in action how like an angel!

in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the

world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me,

what is this quintessence of dust? man delights not

me: no, nor woman neither.

(Brownie points for anyone identifying the film of which those are the last lines.)

I remember watching the premier of this show at my father's house when I arrived for my mother's funeral. When I got back home, I never wanted to watch the show because it reminded me of the awkward silence amongst the family when we all sat there, not knowing what to say to one another after my mother's passing.

After hearing a recap of the finale on the news this morning, somehow I feel justified that I completely predicted the crux of the show all those years ago.

J.R.'s death was just a dream. ;)

BTW, I've never seen a single episode.

I tried reading a spoiler on Wikipedia but my eyes glazed over after three minutes into it.

Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

I have of late--but

(Brownie points for anyone identifying the film of which those are the last lines.)

Well, its Hamlet so the fact that sections of the soliloquy have been used in numerous films isn't a stretch, from Hair to Grosse Point Blank...

Answers as best I can figure...

how did the dharma initiative find the island?

Presumably they were drawn to/somehow detected the extreme electromagnetic activity coming from the island. Dharma's main purpose was to study what that was all about.

where did the hippies in the temple with the leader assembled from a grab-bag of japanese cliches come from?

An ultra-devoted to Jacob sect of The Others

what happened when the bomb exploded?

I'm still trying to figure this out, but I assume the bomb exploding had the effect of throwing the castaways forward in time to the show's present day. I also think this was a response to the time travel theory that you can't really impact the future by changing the past (although I don't think that really holds up given some of the other stuff that happened).

what the hell was up with widmore and the good witch?

Don't know, but in the Sideways Purgatory she wasn't ready for her son to "move on". Perhaps some feelings of guilt for killing her own son?

and instead spent 10 minutes on people embracing in slow-motion. and wasn't nadia sayid's true love?

I didn't get that either. Shannon was long gone and all we've heard about since is Nadia.

and where was mr. eko? desmond wasn't on the plane so why was he in the church? and if he could make it in then why not all the other non-plane characters?

Who was in the church had nothing to do with who was on the plane. The people in the church shared in what was "the most significant" time in their lives. Presumably, Eko had another experience that impacted him more (probably being indoctrinated as a soldier as a child or something related). For Desmond and Penny, however, the island represented something far more significant, so they were there.

Anyway, I enjoyed the finale. I've always been more interested in the characters than the mythology, so leaving several things unanswered (the whole infertility thing, the wormhole to Tunisia, etc) didn't really bother me. Also, how would anyone have predicted the ending at the beginning of the series? The island as purgatory theory turned out to not be true. The people in the church did not die in the crash. As Jack's father said, some died before Jack and some long after.

I have of late--but

"we've gone on holiday by mistake"

Eko asked to be written out of the show, so it's not surprising he didn't come back.

I guess the Others are other dead people like Michael that inhabit the Island? They were there before Jacob, but his mother seemed to be afraid of them.

Did Jacob tell Ben to Kill the Dharmas? To protect the Island?

Did Widmore want to harness the energy to flood the Earth with Evil?

Who painted that map on the wall of the Swan station?

What were the numbers?

Seriously, the biggest answerable question of them all, what were the numbers?

Instead we got a family reunion bathed in light.

Lost: The Hurley Years. Could be interesting.

I have of late--but

"we've gone on holiday by mistake"

Hmmm, Withnail & I--great film. Wish it had subtitles.

We have a winner.

Your prize is a bottle of Margaux '53. Best of the century.

Controversy rages as to whether the scene demonstrates Withnail's uselessness or talent. I rather think the latter.

Controversy rages as to whether the scene demonstrates Withnail's uselessness or talent. I rather think the latter.

with shakespeare it's really hard to know

6zEVZGuU3BU

so, this "lost" was it about anything at all?

and instead spent 10 minutes on people embracing in slow-motion. and wasn't nadia sayid's true love?

I didn't get that either. Shannon was long gone and all we've heard about since is Nadia.

and where was mr. eko? desmond wasn't on the plane so why was he in the church? and if he could make it in then why not all the other non-plane characters?

Who was in the church had nothing to do with who was on the plane. The people in the church shared in what was "the most significant" time in their lives. Presumably, Eko had another experience that impacted him more (probably being indoctrinated as a soldier as a child or something related). For Desmond and Penny, however, the island represented something far more significant, so they were there.

one blog i read said that because it's really jack's focus, that he knew sayid with shannon and not with nadia so that's why we see it that way. and that yes, other people had their own thing to play out so presumably will be in the bldg they built to connect with their other pals! also read that eko asked for too much money for the finale or would have been there despite that he chose to leave the series etc...

The perhaps more interesting meta-question is, what is it in the zeitgeist that is throwing up all of these time-travel / afterlife / is it a dream TV shows right now?

Apparently Life On Mars and Ashes To Ashes have been pursuing similar themes in the UK, & apparently much more adroitly, from what I've heard.

The perhaps more interesting meta-question is, what is it in the zeitgeist that is throwing up all of these time-travel / afterlife / is it a dream TV shows right now?

Apparently Life On Mars and Ashes To Ashes have been pursuing similar themes in the UK, & apparently much more adroitly, from what I've heard.

I don't much care for them either.