Pizza in NJ

A fact finding pizza luncheon brings us to Blauvelt, NY (or was it Sparkill?).

Over decidedly mediocre pizza, it was said that our specimans were exactly like Mahwah's, Kinchley's. Thin crust, yada, yada, yada. I say if this is like Kinchley's, then there mustn't be very good pizza in The Garden State. Suffice to say that this landed on the low end of the "mediocre" part of the hierarchy.

Mind you Andiamo (Haworth) and Brooklyn (Hackensack) are decent, but I've been to the mountaintop (DiFara's) and have yet to try anything even close.

It's Jersey. Even the pizza doesn't respect us.

You may want to check out Antonio's Restaurant And Pizzeria

6900 Park Av, North Bergen, NJ 07047

(201) 868-3500

The deliver all the way down to my place which is a few miles away. I really love their sauce. Their calzones are pretty decent too. There is nothing quite like Bronx & Brooklyn pizza...but this is the best I've had in NJ since I've moved there.

i've found andiamo's to be hit and miss, mostly miss. had a very bad experience there (cold food, warm white and cold red wine, bad service) on a very busy new years eve, so i haven't been back for a while.

i grew up about a mile away from there, when it was owned by the pierro (sp?) family. back then, the pizzas and pitchers were great.

the best around i've found, if you like thin, but not cracker like crust, is pizza town usa, on route 46 west, in elmwood park, right next to the parkway off ramp. in fact, you have to play chicken with the kamikazes getting off the highway to get into the parking lot, but it is worth it.

they don't try to kill the pizza with cheese, and i think they use a little mix of savory and oregano in their sauce, which is what sets it apart from other pizzas.

for REALLY thin crust, so it cracks when you try to fold it, try the firehouse restaurant, on plauderville ave in garfield, nj.

it is so thin that you must consume it right away or it will cool off and not taste right. not good for take out.

A fact finding pizza luncheon brings us to Blauvelt, NY (or was it Sparkill?).

Over decidedly mediocre pizza, it was said that our specimans were exactly like Mahwah's, Kinchley's. Thin crust, yada, yada, yada. I say if this is like Kinchley's, then there mustn't be very good pizza in The Garden State. Suffice to say that this landed on the low end of the "mediocre" part of the hierarchy.

Mind you Andiamo (Haworth) and Brooklyn (Hackensack) are decent, but I've been to the mountaintop (DiFara's) and have yet to try anything even close.

It's Jersey. Even the pizza doesn't respect us.

Yeah, Jersey's pretty much a Pizza wasteland.

I did have a very good slice a couple of weeks ago on the run in Glen Rock. I think the place was called Aldo's, right on the main drag. They had a real wood burning brick oven, and the one slice seemed quite good. Think it's worth a trip back?

I've been quite pleased with the pizza at trattoria fresco in caldwell. Although they will do the cheese, sauce, sausage routine, they're much better with the three cheeses, or the exotic mushrooms. Anything on the menu is fair game for pizza if you ask.

Wood fired, thin crusted, and BYO friendly.

There's a pizzeria in Fairfield which is among the better alternatives in the area. It wasn't spectacular, but I'd definitely say it was pretty good. Drug Fair shopping center on US 46W.

Guest bklyninjsy

Yes, there is a lot of really bad pizza in NJ. I agree. But I've found a few places that are, either really excellent or have special pies that are really good.

1 - La Cucina - Sterling, NJ - tiny place in a really tiny town - extremely thin crust

2 - DeCola's - Route 31 Washington, NJ - Warren County

3 - Family Pizza - Route 57, Port Colden Mall - owned by Brooklyn family

4 - DuSal's - Freehold, NJ - great food all around - pizza, pasta (Fra Diavolo that is truly spicy)

5 - there is a place on Route 9 in Manalapan that is great but I can't think of the name unfortunately. Fantastic pizza. I'll get back to you on it.

A few places have excellent pizza that is different - not the usual toppings -

Trattoria "La Strada" in Warren, NJ - in one of the shopping plazas makes interesting pies - such as the Buffalo Chicken Pizza - hot sauce, blue cheese in with the mozzarella and chunks of fried chicken breast. Delish. Makes the nose run but I like that! Wow. My hubby said that the spinach pie was good too.

Bellagio at Strykers Crossing on Route 57 near Phillipsburg has great pizza and their calzones are incredibly large and full of different stuff. Love it.

So there are a few places with good pizza - some have great pizza (La Cucina for one). Think really Italian - not Italian-American - thin sauce, blotches of mozzarella, not totally covered.

Great place. Nothing to speak of in looks - not too many tables, ratty looking place but phenomenal pizza! Can't be beat.

My 2 cents on the NJ pizza issue and I've eaten at the best in NYC and Brooklyn - Spumoni Gardens, John's on Bleeker, Totonno's in Coney Island, to name a few.

RisaG

• 3 weeks later...

It's time to revisit the Roman Inn, on Hudson Street in Englewood. This place has been around since my childhood, back in the day. It was recently purchased by two ex-butchers from Kotchers, and they're making some really nice pizza. Crackling, thin crust; meat toppings from Kotchers; decent sauce, not too sweet. ANd they're really friendly.

It's time to revisit the Roman Inn, on Hudson Street in Englewood. This place has been around since my childhood, back in the day. It was recently purchased by two ex-butchers from Kotchers, and they're making some really nice pizza. Crackling, thin crust; meat toppings from Kotchers; decent sauce, not too sweet. ANd they're really friendly.

I'm so there!

and welcome!

Hi Liza - I love thin crust pizza.

Roman Inn

19 West Hudson Avenue

Englewood

201-567-2654

By some miraculous coincidence, someone posted lengthily about this place on Egullet today. The stars must be in alignment.

(Guess we can't claim plagiarism! :D )

Roman Inn

19 West Hudson Avenue

Englewood

201-567-2654

By some miraculous coincidence, someone posted lengthily about this place on Egullet today. The stars must be in alignment.

Yeah, but was it as good as the pizza at OTTO? :D

Roman Inn

19 West Hudson Avenue

Englewood

201-567-2654

Yeah, but was it as good as the pizza at OTTO? :D

If I'm over on eG tomorrow, maybe I'll ask that question. :D

I'm sure there a few people who remember that discussion.

Bergen Record puts in a mixed review for Brooklyn's Pizza in Hackensack, The pizza was less impressive than the antipasto, etc.

We started by sharing a large antipasto ($13.75), an oval platter of lightly dressed romaine lettuce and marinated fresh mushroom slices covered by thick slabs of Brooklyn's own fresh mozzarella, coal-oven-roasted sweet red peppers, Genoa salami wrapped around slices of provolone cheese and olives, with bread sticks on the side. It was a great start to the meal, especially when I combined the sweet pepper and bland cheese in a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

.... and we attacked the 18-inch, thin-crust pizza, which was made with more of that snowy mozzarella, grated locatelli cheese, crushed tomatoes and fresh basil, all ringed by a dark, scorched crust.

I had ordered the pizza well-done, but we all noticed how it was soggy in the center, so when you picked up and folded a slice, the end drooped. Still, I don't know of another pizza in North Jersey with a crust that tastes like this.

Brooklyn's

An impeccable slice from Roman Inn today, which managed to ensnare my husband in its clutches as well. Perfect balance of thin, crispy crust, not too sweet sauce, and not too much cheese. Enough cheese to tug slightly at the teeth, of course of course.

Happily, they're thriving.