ulterior epicure

Le Cinq

He got a turd meal. That's the point: it's not like he got the good meal and chose to pan it to extend the genre you referred to. All I was saying.

Yeah, I mean we agree on that. I'm not criticizing anything you said - I agree with most of it. I'm extending the point to question whether this genre is really responsible good criticism when it comes from someone like Rayner or Sutton vs. that vanity fair goose in a dress piece, which has them all beat.

Don't pretend the difference between the restaurant's own photos and his come down to bad photography. Look at that lamb.

He didn't get the meal on which the consensus is based. Hasn't that ever happened to you? It happened to me at Petit Crenn this week.

Well, there were many departures at Petit Crenn, maybe the same is true for Le Cinq?

For what it's worth, we were at Le Cinq in February (second visit, but first since Le Squer took over) and had a good meal albeit a slightly disappointing one as I had been looking forward to eating Le Squer's food for c.10 years. I take some of the blame as my keenness to shoehorn in as many of the classics as possible (and the inability to split the spaghetti dish) led to a somewhat unbalanced meal. A good friend (and sometime contributor on here) went in December and had a great meal.

Some of Jay's review chimes with our experience - the amuse really were bad, I didn't love the scallop and uni ice cream, I enjoyed the onion dish but don't much care for spherification either and I share his reservations re. milk skin.

But many of the dishes were superb (langoustine, spaghetti, grapefruit) and I share the reservations about the value of this piece as criticism. The consensus is that Le Squer remains a great chef and that his classic dishes stand up well today. It's fine to report on a bad meal but a takedown of such a well regarded restaurant by such a prominent critic really needs to acknowledge some more data points.

It was a strange review.. I felt like he got more caught up in trying to think of funny lines and lost his train of thinking..

It’s like eating a condom that’s been left lying about in a dusty greengrocer’s,” she says

Does she know this from experience?

My lips purse, like a cat’s arse that’s brushed against nettles.

It is mostly black, like nightmares, and sticky, like the floor at a teenager’s party.

Do teenagers have sticky floors at their parties?

I don't know, i am not a fan of his writing and it seems rather juvenile.. I am assuming this a very famous reviewer and perhaps his credibility is already establish so he doesn't feel the need to explain himself more.. It seems like he is just writing a yelp review more than a professional review.. With only a single visit, is this common for the Guardian to do?

Nobody takes someone down like Pete Wells in my opinion

• Like 1

British critics have a tradition of snarky writing. He's not an outlier.

We had a pretty good meal here in Dec and stuck to the hits, but it wasn't as great as when he was still at Ledoyen. That said, I still think the reasons to go are that they're open Sundays and that wine list still has some deals on it.

Rayner has been around for many years. He's probably the best-known and most respected restaurant critic in the UK (still working, I mean).

He explains why he came to write the review at the beginning of the piece.

Don't pretend the difference between the restaurant's own photos and his come down to bad photography. Look at that lamb.

He didn't get the meal on which the consensus is based. Hasn't that ever happened to you? It happened to me at Petit Crenn this week.

Well, there were many departures at Petit Crenn, maybe the same is true for Le Cinq?

Wow, and Petit Crenn has only been open about 18 months.

He ordered wrong.

That said, the food in the pictures looks pretty bad.