LES/EV nightlife under attack

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Suddenly the booming nightlife scene below and above Houston on the East Side isn't popular any more. At least with some local residents, who have organized a coalition to agitate the licensing autho

I lived through a lot of this in Soho, London in the late 1980s and 1990s. It is infuriating when laundromats close down to be replaced by identikit sushi bars and lounges. But when you choose to li

E-mail just received from an activist:     The 7-Eleven will replace Bar on A. I thought we wanted fewer bars.   (Of course, the serious point is that if you drive out bars, they won't be rep

Good news in an item on Community Board 3's agenda, just circulated:

Request for clarification from SLA regarding the new interpretation of the 500 foot rule. The new interpretation is that there must be 3 or more licenses of the same class. However, community boards do not have information regarding the classes of existing licenses to be able to make informed decisions.

Emphases added.

Of course, information about classes of existing licenses is readily available on the SLA website.

• 1 year later...
Luckily The Villager has an update: "Among Council Speaker Christine Quinn’s new C.B. 2 appointees are Florent Morellet (right) the legendary Meat Market restaurateur, who is also a preservationist and cycling activist; and playwright Robin Rothstein." With any luck he'll serve on the SLA Licensing committee to provide a sympathetic ear to new restaurant and nightlife applicants.

Florent appointed to local community board

• 5 months later...

I'm staying in a LES hotel, and the worst noise I came across was Sunday morning at 5am when two young guys staying in the room next door woke me up by turning up their radio to full and singing along with some particularly raucous music ... and giggling a lot and very loudly!

Then on Monday morning at 3.15am I heard the screaming of a young woman in that same room obviously being murdered, but it turned out to be a different form of activity.

I walk back to my hotel regularly between 11pm and 2am, and I just don't encounter a lot of noise. The worst problem is crowds of youngsters standing outside bars and blocking the sidewalk, and I have to say that I find them to be obstreperous and thoughtless. They make no attempt to move aside to let walkers through, and often display resentment at being asked to move.

But noise? As has been said in this thread, the general traffic noise is far worse than anything coming from people in the bars. That's not to say it doesn't exist, but I really can't believe that generally it's enough to wake people or keep them from getting to sleep. Apart from those people in the hotel room next door, that is :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The worst problem is crowds of youngsters standing outside bars and blocking the sidewalk, and I have to say that I find them to be obstreperous and thoughtless. They make no attempt to move aside to let walkers through, and often display resentment at being asked to move.

Yes, the douchebag generation. Or Gen DB.

so when did you guys start taking away balls kids threw in your yards? Did that come before or after you started complaining about the behavior of kids today.

You're over 30. Kids probably consider you a geezer.

so when did you guys start taking away balls kids threw in your yards? Did that come before or after you started complaining about the behavior of kids today?

In my case it came before. Firstly, these aren't kids, they're "youngsters" which from my perspective means people in the 18-30 age group :rolleyes: So actually they're not of an age where they are normally throwing balls in other people's yards :lol:

I can understand the thoughtless bit - they're having a night out, they're forced out of the bars so they can smoke whatever kind of weeds they choose to smoke tonight; it's really, really, really intellectually demanding for them in their hazy condition to understand that the sidewalk hasn't been provided specially as a playground for them and that there are other people who have a need to use it; so it's obviously unreasonable to expect them to spread out to leave a tiny walkway for those other people.

I can allow for all that.

But when asked politely to move aside so that I can pass without risking my life walking into the roadway of Houston Street, I expect even these "youngsters" to move aside without glowering at me, or deliberately jostling me as I squeeze through the narrow gap they have grudgingly created, or even just completely ignoring my request and turning back to chat with their friends.

Of course I understand that my attitude is simply unreasonable and curmudgeonly,but that's the way I am :blink: