LES/EV nightlife under attack

so when did you guys start taking away balls kids threw in your yards? Did that come before or after you started complaining about the behavior of kids today?

In my case it came before. Firstly, these aren't kids, they're "youngsters" which from my perspective means people in the 18-30 age group :rolleyes: So actually they're not of an age where they are normally throwing balls in other people's yards :lol:

I can understand the thoughtless bit - they're having a night out, they're forced out of the bars so they can smoke whatever kind of weeds they choose to smoke tonight; it's really, really, really intellectually demanding for them in their hazy condition to understand that the sidewalk hasn't been provided specially as a playground for them and that there are other people who have a need to use it; so it's obviously unreasonable to expect them to spread out to leave a tiny walkway for those other people.

I can allow for all that.

But when asked politely to move aside so that I can pass without risking my life walking into the roadway of Houston Street, I expect even these "youngsters" to move aside without glowering at me, or deliberately jostling me as I squeeze through the narrow gap they have grudgingly created, or even just completely ignoring my request and turning back to chat with their friends.

Of course I understand that my attitude is simply unreasonable and curmudgeonly,but that's the way I am :blink:

That is a fair account of very common behavior. Getting past Zum Schneider on Avenue C is always a challenge.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Suddenly the booming nightlife scene below and above Houston on the East Side isn't popular any more. At least with some local residents, who have organized a coalition to agitate the licensing autho

I lived through a lot of this in Soho, London in the late 1980s and 1990s. It is infuriating when laundromats close down to be replaced by identikit sushi bars and lounges. But when you choose to li

E-mail just received from an activist:     The 7-Eleven will replace Bar on A. I thought we wanted fewer bars.   (Of course, the serious point is that if you drive out bars, they won't be rep

so when did you guys start taking away balls kids threw in your yards? Did that come before or after you started complaining about the behavior of kids today?

In my case it came before. Firstly, these aren't kids, they're "youngsters" which from my perspective means people in the 18-30 age group :rolleyes: So actually they're not of an age where they are normally throwing balls in other people's yards :lol:

I can understand the thoughtless bit - they're having a night out, they're forced out of the bars so they can smoke whatever kind of weeds they choose to smoke tonight; it's really, really, really intellectually demanding for them in their hazy condition to understand that the sidewalk hasn't been provided specially as a playground for them and that there are other people who have a need to use it; so it's obviously unreasonable to expect them to spread out to leave a tiny walkway for those other people.

I can allow for all that.

But when asked politely to move aside so that I can pass without risking my life walking into the roadway of Houston Street, I expect even these "youngsters" to move aside without glowering at me, or deliberately jostling me as I squeeze through the narrow gap they have grudgingly created, or even just completely ignoring my request and turning back to chat with their friends.

Of course I understand that my attitude is simply unreasonable and curmudgeonly,but that's the way I am :blink:

That is a fair account of very common behavior. Getting past Zum Schneider on Avenue C is always a challenge.

two points

1)I was actually just hassling lex

2)there have been assholes in every generation and the prior generation has always talked about how many more assholes there are in the current generation.

two points

1)I was actually just hassling lex

2)there have been assholes in every generation and the prior generation has always talked about how many more assholes there are in the current generation.

Oh I wasn't really having a dig at you, Anthony, just taking your post as an excuse to represent my frustration <_<

And of course it is everyone's right, and perhaps even duty, to hassle Lex :lol:

Something you have to live with. In exchange for having to push your way though idiots, your life is saved a little every time you walk into a bar and don't get exposed to second help smoke.

Which is always true, of course, a/c population growth. In the same way that it's true that there are more assholes per square mile in Jersey than elsewhere.

As for the crowds on Houston, I view them as a reminder of why God gave us elbows.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand why it's good that the LES (and other neighborhoods) most people wax poetically about may undergo and even more drastic change with more douchbags of all breeds coming in, along with new versions of the same places that are already there, pushing out generations of people who made these neighborhoods what they were.

Yes. 1) Poor people need places to live. 2) Over-educated, non-poor, but perhaps not well-off, white people like to hang out in slums because (a) the people are more diverse and interesting; (b) the shops are more diverse and interesting, although perhaps not offering the full compliment of wine programs, burger programs, and truffle dinners; and (z) it helps maintain ever-growing fiction that there are still different neighborhoods in Manhattan.